Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kurt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert

veeam v6 repository type for QNAP

Post by kurt »

I just installed veeam backup v6 and I'm going to be backing up to a QNAP NAS device. I'm not quite sure which repository type I should choose. The QNAP is connected to the LAN.

1. Windows Server - The NAS has Microsoft Networking enabled. Will this even work with a QNAP device?
2. Linux Server NFS - I could enable NFS on the QNAP server and go this route.
3. Shared folder CIFS - Should I choose this to access my QNAP Windows networking share?

I'm a bit confused with the new proxy\repository settings in v6. Please let me know how to set this up.

I also have a windows 7 share that I backup to. Even this is confusing. It wants me to install vpower nfs. I don't remember ever having to do that with v5. Should I install it on the win 7 pc or somewhere else? Does each repo need one?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: veeam v6 repository type for QNAP

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Robert,

Any variant would work (really depends on resource availability), but If you have a spare Windows Server I would recommend using first option.

If you haven't done that already, then please review our sticky F.A.Q. for more info on our architecture: >>> READ FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

And here is some more details about vPower NFS: VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Hope this helps!
kurt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert

Re: veeam v6 repository type for QNAP

Post by kurt »

For my Win 7 repo, I chose Windows server, and installed vpower. For the NAS, I had to choose CIFS share. That's the only one that seemed to work. I left it on automatic proxy detection and let it use vpower on the veeam vm. I didn't create any proxy servers so hopefully, it'll just use the veeam server.