Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
arcalas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Muchamad Arif

Staging backup that always full backup to tape from repository

Post by arcalas »

Hi All,

We have a certain backup policy or condition like this :

1. Backup from production server should always full backup on daily (except sunday) to repository
2. From repository, we should deliver it to tape with full backup after the backup job from production to repository complete
3. Backup to tape should be not overwritten with new backup session or based on the day, therefore I presume we should create each media set by day or group job, right ?
4. No incremental backup is needed as long as we have full backup, therefore retention backup based on how many free space left in our repository.

Since we don't have a huge repository size, our backup will depend on the tape and backup to repository only become a quick restore solution so we don't have to use the tape, therefore we have to ensure the backup to tape always consist full backup, when we need to restore from tape on certain day, we just need that tape only without asking another tape that contain full backup.
When our repository storage full, we will delete the old backup and rely the backup on the tape.

Some of our servers are using datastore and RDM, therefore our backup jobs consist with agentless backup job and with agent backup job. I presume, reverse incremental backup only available on agentless job to ensure full backup method everyday, how to ensure backup with agent always full backup on every backup session ?

Please enlighten me, how to configure and create a method of backup by following the above policy or condition ?

Thank you,

Cheers,
Arif
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Staging backup that always full backup to tape from repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

1. The alternative to Reverse incremental would be daily synthetic full backups for the agents. That is "for free" on REFS and XFS file systems. Having a full backup on disk sounds like a waste of disk space to me if you don't have REFS / XFS. If you only need the full to tape (as it sounds like), you can just schedule "virtual synthetic full" to tape every day (the schedule button).
2. "As new backup files appear" would be the option then
3. Retention protects against overwrite
4. retention is based on days / restore points. not on "free space".

Best regards,
Hannes