Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ITguy20
Novice
Liked: 1 time

AWS S3 bucket and veeam B&R

Post by ITguy20 »

Hi All,

Ive been asked to look into moving our current onsite backup to the cloud. We are running B&R v10 at the moment and we currently backup to a SAN, and i want the job directly to backup to the AWS s3 bcuket. From what i read it appears that i cant directly backup our local servers to the s3 bucket. Is this correct? Does B&R v11 allow direct backup to s3?

Assuming the above is correct i read that i have to create a capacity tier and then target the s3 via that.

From that image above, question i had was:

A) with the option selected Backup jobs at performance tier, they get copied to this S3 bucket rather then moved? (so in theory i will have a set of data on my san as well as on the s3 bucket) If so when I do restore of data, does it restore from the performance tier rather then s3 bucket?

b) Will the data in the s3 bucket will have same policy applied? i.e data will be removed x amount of days as per set in the performance tier?

c) If my performance tier goes down, how can I restore data from the s3 bucket?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: AWS S3 bucket and veeam B&R

Post by veremin »

From what i read it appears that i cant directly backup our local servers to the s3 bucket. Is this correct?
Correct.
Does B&R v11 allow direct backup to s3?
No, it does not.
With the option selected Backup jobs at performance tier, they get copied to this S3 bucket rather then moved?
Correct.
If so when I do restore of data, does it restore from the performance tier rather then s3 bucket?
If the data is available on performance tier, it will be restored from there.

More recent product versions also allow you to manually select object storage as a backup restore source manually by using corresponding "Backups -> Object Storage" node, but in v10 it's all about automatic selection.
Will the data in the s3 bucket will have same policy applied? i.e data will be removed x amount of days as per set in the performance tier?
Correct.
If my performance tier goes down, how can I restore data from the s3 bucket?
Just initiate a restore process, backup server will try to find backups on performance tier and fail over to capacity tier, once the search fails.

Thanks!
ITguy20
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: AWS S3 bucket and veeam B&R

Post by ITguy20 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you very much for the clarfications.