Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bml
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam server replica of itself - failover

Post by bml »

Hello
Hopefully a quick question, I have a replica of Veeam B&R server itself on another host (same site). Will planned failover going to work as normal or there are some special considerations?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam server replica of itself - failover

Post by Mildur »

Hi bml

Planned failover will need a working veeam server to orchestrate the process itself. It cannot work without the vbr server who's managing the replication.

You need to boot it manually or shutdown the veeam server until you maintenance work is over.
We never replicate the vbr Server in our environments.
For DR purposes, you can install it from the beginning in the DR site. And instead of replication, you can leverage vm templates and configuration backup to get a running vbr server in minuted
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bml
Novice
Liked: never

Post by bml »

Thank you for the quick reply, it makes perfect sense.
I only created replica just in case as I need to shut down the host. Apart from Re IP is there anything else I need to consider when booting replica manually for a few hours?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please keep in mind that we never recommend to power on replicas manually. You can see a special note on this page of our help center:
Use Veeam Backup & Replication to perform failover operations. Avoid powering on a replica manually — this may disrupt further replication operations or cause loss of important data.
The best practice is to stick with what Fabian said, you can spin up a new server very quickly having a template and configuration backup. I don't see any real arguments for having replica of Veeam B&R as configuration backup covers all possible cases related to unavailability of Veeam server.

Thanks!