Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Is this possible.

Post by vmtech123 »

If I have a file server with many disks, can I use Veeam to restore a single disk to a different VM?

I know I can restore a VMDK file to another location, or do an instant restore to the same VM etc.

Is there a way to restore it to a VMware datastore? If I have to manually attach it so be it, but having the option to "Restore to another VM" would be a HUGE feature request.

Obviously I'd require importing it in Windows, but that's out of your guys hands at that point, and TBH, any storage, server, VMware, or backup admin SHOULD know how to do that.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Is this possible.

Post by Gostev »

vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 » 1 person likes this post

You're the man. Thanks. The wording on the Map drive I wanted to confirm was the destination and not the source. The instructions are always awkward until the first time you do something.

I like FROM/TO, SOURCE/DESTINATION labeled more to make it idiot proof when I do this stuff after a crazy day.

Looks like it's working perfect. Veeam said the destination had to be powered down to continue, as this is a test VM I did it. I don't see that in the instructions.

This should be concurrent one would think. Why did Veeam want to power it down?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately I don't remember details by now, but it was essential.
marcofabbri
Veeam Legend
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marco Fabbri

Post by marcofabbri »

Maybe it's for a coherence speech of the config of the vm? what you have brought is an interesting case.