Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Restore SQL on-prem to RDS

Post by andyboy16 »

Is there a way to backup a SQL database on-prem and then restore to an AWS RDS instance?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore SQL on-prem to RDS

Post by PetrM »

Hi Andrew,

There is no option to restore a database directly to AWS RDS. The only alternative would be to leverage this wizard in order to restore a database to a server in cloud if it's available by DNS or IP. Just out of curiosity: do you migrate all of your on-premises workloads to AWS or you just want to do one-time restore from one site to another?

Thanks!
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Post by andyboy16 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andrew,

There is no option to restore a database directly to AWS RDS. The only alternative would be to leverage this wizard in order to restore a database to a server in cloud if it's available by DNS or IP. Just out of curiosity: do you migrate all of your on-premises workloads to AWS or you just want to do one-time restore from one site to another?

Thanks!
We need to test our DR. We have our DR in AWS so we want to test the ability to restore a single DB on-prem to a RDS instance. When I read the article you linked I see this message:
"IMPORTANT

Make sure that the administrative share (for example, \\myserver\ADMIN$) on a target machine is available. Read and Write are minimum required, Full Control is recommended."

There won't be any ADMIN$ share on a RDS instance.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Yes, that's what I said: the only way to restore a database to cloud environment is to have there a server which can be accessed over IP or DNS. VESQL cannot restore databases to AWS RDS.

Thanks!