Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

New backup regime for Year End

Post by mduffin »

Hi,
I may be over thinking this and it may be easy... but what I'd like to do is to create a separate backup backup for Year End so we can hold backups for a year ( just in case ) when we used Backup exec and backed up to Tape this was easy we just put in different tapes and away we went...

So just trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this with Veeam... the backup strategy i currently use is to back up to a NAS device then do a back up copy to an RDX drive, this is the stored off site..

But to save me coming in to the office over Christmas I've added another tape drive to the backup server where I'll put the Year End tape... so i was thinking of creating a separate backup job for the year end job and set it to keep for a year then to perform a backup copy to the new RDX drive, but when i try this it just says the server is already processed in another job..

Is there a way around this.... or am i going about this all wrong?

Thanks,
Mick.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: New backup regime for Year End

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I completely got what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to create a new full backup at the end of the calendar year, put it on a tape and store it there for one year? Thanks!
mduffin
Influencer

Post by mduffin »

Hi,
Yes sort of.. sorry if i didn't make it clear what i was looking to achieve ... but yes this will be performed at the end of the calendar year and I'd like to firstly backup up to our NAS with a 1 yr retention ( this will be separate from our current daily backups we perform ) then also perform a backup copy to a new RDX cartridge again so this can be stored off site for a year.

Thanks,
Mick.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Have you thought about creating a VeeamZIP backup? VeeamZIP is standalone full backup that is typically created for storing outside of simple retention for prolongated period of time (separate long-term retention, for instance). You can put this backup on NAS and tapes. Thanks!
mduffin
Influencer

Post by mduffin »

Oh nice, I didn't know about this option... this maybe perfect for my YE backups... will give it a try... I just checked the settings.. is there an option to send an email once its complete? will it use the default mail settings? also it looks like this will run as soon as you create the job, is there no way to schedule it?

Thanks,
Mick.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can script VeeamZIP execution as well as email notification. However it might be easier just to execute it manually at appropriate time and check its completion after few hours. Thanks!
mduffin
Influencer

Post by mduffin »

OK thanks, I'll run them manually.

Is there a similar option for physical boxes?

Regards,
Mick.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

No, but I assume you already have a job backing it up regularly? If so, you can run the job at the end of the year and then export the resulting restore point and store it outside. Thanks!
mduffin
Influencer

Post by mduffin »

Ah OK, yes i already have a job.. so I can export it which will export it to the iScsi drive.. then I can just manually copy the backup onto the RDX..I think that will work OK.
Thanks for your help with this. Much appreciated.

Mick.