Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

How to determine which Proxy is used for File Copy Restore

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hi,
We have to Restore the Files of an VM Backup which was created to an Synology Repository in an VM Environment which not available anymore .
Our Main Veeam Backup Server is in Germany . The Veeam Backup Proxy is on another Side.

1. Step - I create an new Repository where i connect the Synology which was originally connected to another Veeam Proxy in the old System to an Veeam Proxy in the new System .
2. I make an Resacn of the Backup Files
3. I choose the VM from Imported Backups
4. I choose Guest File restore Windows .
5. I choose "Copy" Files to an Server which has enough free space in the new Environment .

But how can i determine that the Restore Job runs over the Network Synology - Veeam Backup Proxy on the Side where the Synology is positioned - Target Server instead over my Main Veeam Server in Germany ?

Thanks
Michael
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Re: How to determine which Proxy is used for File Copy Restore

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I don't think proxy is needed to restore data.

You need to select the good mount server on the repository where you want to restore data from.

This is explain here : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

When you use guest file restore, veeam will use mount server associated with the repository where you try to restore the data from. Be sure to select the good mount server here and it should be ok!
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Re: How to determine which Proxy is used for File Copy Restore

Post by WinstonWolf »

Ok ,
Here is what i make :
1. on this Side there are 2 Veeam Proxys . I create an new Repository with this NAS with one of this Proxys .
Now my Proxy on the Side can access to the NAS and the Repository did an Rescan .
2. Ich choose under Backus imported the Files from this Repository .
3. I choose the VM and choose File Copy .
4. I mark the Folders which i want to copy on an Server Share on the same Side .
5. I choose the Credentials and the ok .

But my Problem now is The Window which shows the Copy Proccess stucks on "Starting" . No Folders was created on the Target Server .

Second Question is on which side i should start this File Copy Process ?
Can i start the File Restore from my Main Veeam Server which is in Germany , but the Side where i want tho restore the Files is in USA or is it necessary to install on the Veeam Proxy in the USA the Veeam Remote Console and start the Copy job there ?

From the Veeam Backup Proxy on Side USA i can reach the NAS andf also the Restore Target Server and his Share.

But why my File Copy Job hangs on "Starting" ?

Michael