Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
daw_idee
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D.G.

Custom Backup Schuedule

Post by daw_idee »

Hi,
I want to setup a backup job with 31 days of retention that does a Full Backup only once a month and then all incremental backup.
For network bandwith reasons I can't use incremental forever backup.
to set it up i need to write a custom script?
thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Custom Backup Schuedule

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

First, you can use simple forward incremental retention - just select monthly full backup on the desired day. Second, could you please elaborate on the reason why you cannot use forever incremental - what kind of repository do you have? Why bandwidth is a concern?
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Hello i have a remote object storage where there is a procedure that copy the files vbk ecc from the repository to the obj storage to have an immutable second copy, we can't use the foward incremental because after the moment when the oldest incremental has been infused in the full backup i need to copy the new full, so this happens every day, in that way i need to copy a full every day.
If i can have a monthly full and then only incremental backups i will copy only once a month a full and the other days only the incremental.
i hope thats clear.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Are you talking about Capacity Tier? If so, this is not how it works: Capacity Tier is working in forward forever incremental fashion, meaning already offloaded blocks are not transferred again, and to "transform" the oldest full backup we only need to update the metadata on object storage, not to copy the full backup from the scratch. Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Hi, at the moment it isn't utilized the capacity tier, it's a simple copy managed by the nas that copy files from the repository (vbk, vib) to an object storage, it isn't something managed by veeam, but only an external copy job of the files of the repository to an obj storage.
There are other ways to obtain the same result managed by veeam? i see the scale-out configuration for the repository but still needs a local repository but maybe i'm missing something.
thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Yes, it's called Capacity Tier. You are right that it requires a performance tier to offload backups from, but as far as I understand in your case there is also a local repository from which you copy backups to object storage, so it should not be any different.
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

uhm ok, so If I setup a scale out repo (local+s3), with the performance tier local, i can schedule copies of jobs directly to S3?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, your backups will be copied automatically from the local Performance Tier directly to S3 in this case, as soon as they are created. Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

ok clear, so i have to create a scale out repo, set as my performance tier, the local repository where are already my backups and the capacity tier the obj storage, chose the hours when i want that the copy runs and then all will be managed by veeam, correct?
also the retention period on the obj storage will be managed by veeam?
veremin
Product Manager

Correct, and Capacity Tier does not have its own retention - it uses the retention of the source jobs. Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

Hi, as you suggested i've setup a sobr and works like a charm these are the option for the capacity tier:

i have two questions:
  • after i've setup the sobr, veeam ask me if i want to copy all backup chain or only the last full, i choose all chain and the copy has started immediatly, without respecting the time periods, after this first copy to cloud, the copy has respected the period, there is a way to make that the first copy doesn't start immediatly?
  • Is foward incremental the better way to reduce the network bandwidth usage for a job with sobr as a target?
Thank you very much for your help!
veremin
Product Manager

1. We are aware of this issue, it is planned to be fixed in v12
2. Better than what mode? And reduce to what particular target? Performance or Capacity Tier?
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee »

I just wanna know if doing backup as foward incremental is the better way to reduce the network bandwidth usage to the capacity tier to synchronize data to the capacity tier.
veremin
Product Manager

The backup mode does not matter, as offload process is always forever incremental:
veremin wrote:meaning already offloaded blocks are not transferred again, and to "transform" the oldest full backup we only need to update the metadata on object storage, not to copy the full backup from the scratch
Thanks!
daw_idee
Enthusiast

Post by daw_idee » 1 person likes this post

oh wow! perfect thank you very much