Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
rwatt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Watt

Am I doing this right? File Server or SMB Share?

Post by rwatt »

I'm trying to figure out the preferred way to do things. Based on what the Veeam docs say, it sounds like if I have a Windows file server (VM or physical), then I should add it as a "File Server". But I was curious, are there pros or cons to adding that same file server as a direct SMB share instead?

Server: WinServer01.example.com
Server Volume: D:\Departments\HumanResources
Server Volume: D:\Departments\Finance
Server Share: \\WinServer01.example.com\HR
Server Share: \\WinServer01.example.com\FINANCE
  1. I can add this as a File Server. Then when I go to create a File Backup job, I select this server and specify the volume ("D:\"), parent folder ("D:\Departments"), or each sub-folder (i.e., "D:\Departments\HumanResources", what is actually being shared). Does it matter which?
  2. Or I can add them as SMB Shares. E.g., "\\WinServer01.example.com\HR".
Option 1 is the preferred choice in this scenario, right? When using Option 1, is it better to select the root volume, parent folder, or sub-folder (the folder being directly shared)? I know with the root volume, it's grabbing $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Am I doing this right? File Server or SMB Share?

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Richard

Add it as a Managed File Server.
Configured as File Server, Veeam can use VSS to create the backup of the files. Open files will not be an issue with vss.

If you are sure, that you will always backup the entire disk with the same retention, then I would choose „D:\Departments“. I don‘t think there is a best practice on what to choose (root, folder, or subfolder). I would‘t choose the root folder.
But my experience in file share backups are rather low :-)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software