Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Michael Riesenbeck

Is there a way to see which actual files belonging to the same backup chain?

Post by mriesenbeck »

Hello,

If for some reason you decide to create a new backup chain in a job and want to know which files from the old chain can be deleted manually, is there a way to see which files belong to a certain chain?

Cheers,

Michael
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Is there a way to see which actual files belonging to the same backup chain?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You can just do this under Home-Backups-Disk* and delete them from disk.
or if you have them only on disk, you can import them (to have the metadata inforamtion present under Home-Backups-Disk (imported) to see what it is to decide what you can delete (from disk).
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast

Re: Is there a way to see which actual files belonging to the same backup chain?

Post by mriesenbeck »

The thing is that in the backups-disk, multiple chains could/would/will be shown, and I want to only delete the oldest chain for instance. Would I delete this from the backups-disk view I'd delete ALL chains. So this needs to be a manual action, but I need to know which files belong to which chain.

Cheers,

Michael
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

What I do:

1) Moving the vbk and vib Files from the oldest backup chain (I look at the date in the filename) which I want to delete to a temorary folder (a path which is not part of a backup repo)
2) Rescan the repo
3) Check the backup properties If I had moved the correct backup files for the oldest chains
4) Use right click to forget the missing restore points from the database
5) delete the restore points from the temporary path

If I had moved wrong backup files (checked in step 3), I can move them back and rescan the repo and start the process from the beginning.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast

Post by mriesenbeck » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, that's what I did, I just hoped there would be a faster or smarter solution for this.

Cheers, Michael