Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
praveenlua
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Praveen Kumar M

Different Retention Policy for Capacity Tier

Post by praveenlua »

Hi

One of our customer is looking to have the below backup policy for on premise Extent:
  • Daily Incremental - 7 Restore Points
    Weekly Full - 4 Restore Points
    Monthly Full -3 Restore Points
However they would like to retain the data on the capacity tier for 12 Months. Is this possible with SOBR. Kindly clarify and also suggest if there are any alternatives as well.

PS: I notice from the forums that Backup Copy job currently doesnt support copying to Object Storage directly and the same is planned in V12.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Different Retention Policy for Capacity Tier

Post by Mildur »

Hi Praveen

Yes, it is possible.

You can use the move policy to offload the backups after 90 days. Backup chains will be removed from the performance tier after their inactive for 90 days (Option Move backups to object storage as they age out of the operational restores window).

Combine it with the copy policy to offload instantly after the restore points are created.
The backup job must be reconfigured to keep 12 monthly backups, because capacity tier retention depends on the backup job retention.

With that configuration, you will have 3 months of backups on the performance tier and 12 months of backups on the capacity tier.
PS: I notice from the forums that Backup Copy job currently doesnt support copying to Object Storage directly and the same is planned in V12.
Yes, same I heard :-)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Different Retention Policy for Capacity Tier

Post by veremin »

However they would like to retain the data on the capacity tier for 12 Months.
Quick question - are you talking here about storing the same set of data or only monthly GFS restore points? The former case is not possible, the later is (check the Fabian's recommendations). Thanks!