Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
max.fontana
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimiliano Fontana

I need some advice for this new backup scenario

Post by max.fontana »

Hello there.
First of all sorry for my bad english but I'll try to do my very best.
I have a physical windows server 2016 machine with local storage and veeam v11 enterprise plus edition installed. Then a second brand new physical server that I'd like to use as a secondary backup copy ( linux ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and a 10 TB S3 compatible cloud storage already activated.
My idea is to have a first backup on the win server, an immutable second copy on the linux sever and a third one in the cloud (immutable too).
Total amount of data to be backed up: about 7 TB. I don't need more than 15 restore points for my production's vms (16 vm)
Here are the questions:
For the first copy better to use reverse incremental or incremental. In this case are syntehtic full mandatory?
backup copy on the linux server: I need to flag the GFS box right?
For the backup copy job I understood I need to create a a scale out repository which include a performance tier ( linux box) and then the s3 cloud storage. This way, once the backup copy completes, automatically the upload to the cloud storage begins.
Any suggestions on this backup configuration?
thanks in advance
Max
Italy
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: I need some advice for this new backup scenario

Post by Mildur »

Hi Max
For the first copy better to use reverse incremental or incremental. In this case are syntehtic full mandatory?
backup copy on the linux server: I need to flag the GFS box right?
For the backup copy job I understood I need to create a a scale out repository which include a performance tier ( linux box) and then the s3 cloud storage. This way, once the backup copy completes, automatically the upload to the cloud storage begins.
Looks good to me.

Backup Job to local storage on the backup server --> Forever Forward Incremental, synthetic fulls are not necessary.
Backup Copy Job to SOBR --> GFS is necessary, so backup files can be set as immutable on the Linux Hardened Repo
Capacity Tier Offload Mode --> Copy Policy, to immediately copy the restore points to the S3 Cloud Storage

If you set up the Linux Hardened Repo with FastClone Support, your synthetic GFS Files won't use the entire size on the disk.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software