Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kbergros
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kenneth Bergholm

ESXi storage question

Post by kbergros »

Hi....

I'm new to Veeam and we have bought a server with 5 TB local disc.
On this server I have installed vmware ESXi 5 and made one virituell Windows 2008 Veeam backup server.
I have mounted one disk 2 TB to the Windows machine and use it as backuprepositary.
Done some backups and it works fine.......

The Question I have is can I mount up the 2 TB disk so that i see it as datastore on the ESXi host?
I have tried to mount it as a NFS store, I have enabled the VpowerNFS for the 2 TB , but the ESXi host dont succed to mount it....

any help would appreciated reagrding this issue...

//Kenneth
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: ESXi storage question

Post by foggy »

Kenneth, it's actually not 100% clear what are you trying to perform. Do you mean that you have enabled your local backup repository as vPower NFS datastore but do not see it mounted to ESXi host?
kbergros
Influencer

Post by kbergros »

Hi...

Thanks for your reply!

Yes i dont see it mounted under "datastore" on the Esxihost . The reason I would like this is to be able to start up the viritual machines directly from the backup datastore in case of one of our production Esxi hosts go down or if the production SAN stops working, l can then start up the machines on the backup esxi host and be up and running quite fast. So the thing Im wondering about should i be able to see it ... or is there another way it can be done?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

You can try following this KB to manually mount the Veeam NFS datastore to the host and you can put vmdk files in that location, etc. http://www.veeam.com/KB1284/
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
kbergros
Influencer

Post by kbergros »

Hi...

Thank You! Now it works as intended.
It was the vmkernel that not was added correctly...

//Kenneth