Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rgraetz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rene Graetz

Veeam6 Snapshot Consolidate Helper- 0 problem

Post by rgraetz »

Hello,

first i have to say veeam6 was launched to early i feel like a beta user.
I close one ticket and start a new one.
This backup is far away from beeing stable.
In this moment i have a ticket open from 02.01 [ID#5164071] and still no help.
Ok this only for people who want to choose the right software....

Now the Problem...
Every night the replication make other errors and i have to deleete Consolidate Helper- 0 Snapshots manually.
First time replication was successfull so the main configuration can not be the problem.

Im totally lost!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam6 Snapshot Consolidate Helper- 0 problem

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You should continue investigating this issue with your support engineer and figure out why you have errors during replication jobs, as we cannot assist with technical issues via these forums. Also please be aware that Consolidated Helper snapshots are always created by ESXi hosts during snapshot removal procedure and they should not persist under normal conditions (even if replication job fails), so it sounds like a possible network connection issue for me.

Btw, do you have the same issues with other VMs?
rgraetz
Lurker
Full Name: Rene Graetz

Post by rgraetz »

No really a response on this ticket.
We have this issue with 90% of the vms in the v6 replicatkion job.
The old replication jobs running well... well in the veeam universe.
ccitrano
Influencer
Full Name: Chuck Citrano

Post by ccitrano »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You should continue investigating this issue with your support engineer and figure out why you have errors during replication jobs, as we cannot assist with technical issues via these forums. Also please be aware that Consolidated Helper snapshots are always created by ESXi hosts during snapshot removal procedure and they should not persist under normal conditions (even if replication job fails), so it sounds like a possible network connection issue for me.

Btw, do you have the same issues with other VMs?
You definitely want to take a look at the files on your datastore for the VM's that have this particular error. I saw this same type of thing, under different circumstances, and discovered that I had many, many snapshots accumulating in the directory even though they did not show through vCenter. I tried everything I could find in both forums (Veeam and VMware) and could not manually roll up the snapshots. The only things that worked was to clone the machine to a new location. This introduced downtime for the host(s) in question. I caught this pretty quickly and was fortunate to do so. Others who experienced this issue had problems because the snapshots ate up most of the available disk space and it made things very tight when trying to fix the issue.

I opened a case with Veeam and they noted that the issue was within the VMware Storage API. Not quite sure who should be responsible, but I do know that I was very fortunate to accidentally uncover early. I hope this sounds the alarm bell for you.

Cheers.
Chuck.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks Chuck for your input! Just wanted to add that we have Veeam Monitor (part of Veeam ONE) which discovers all these "hidden" snapshots and alarms you on them, might be very useful for future readers.