Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

How often does Veeam rescan the hosts?

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

We're conducting a massive migration project, and our idea was to setup a vCenter tag "Migrating" and add this as an exclusion on the backup job. The project engineer will tag a VM when he plans to migrate it, so that backups won't touch it while in progress. Then, when he is done and the VM is in the new cluster, he'll remove the tag. The backup job will be configured to protect both clusters, old and new, so that backups resume as soon as the tag is no longer applied.

So my question is: How often does Veeam rescan the vCenters? I want to ensure it is rescanning at least every hour if not every 30 minutes. Alternatively, if there was a way to rescan at a particular time (even invoked by PowerShell for example), I could set that up just prior to the backup job schedule. This would ensure that when the backup job kicks off, it ONLY backs up assets without the vCenter tag.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Re: How often does Veeam rescan the hosts?

Post by TitaniumCoder477 » 1 person likes this post

This post can be closed/deleted or left for anyone else who comes up with the same question. I actually was able to build a solution based on Rescan-VBREntity (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110) and tightly integrate it with our RMM engine to run every 30 minutes.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: How often does Veeam rescan the hosts?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to suggest. By the way, rescan of managed servers including vCenter is performed every 4 hours, you can see the corresponding task session with name "Host Discovery" in the History view.

Thanks!