Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Backup copy jobs time interval/Copy time

Post by kaboomza »

HI guys, I just wanted to know, if I change the "periodic copy" times of a backup copy jobs and alter it, and I save the changes and apply, will it wait for that duration before the new copy interval actually starts taking place?

So for example, if I change the job now from say every 4 days to every 6 days and apply the changes, will it wait the entire 6 days before starting the new copy interval configuration or will it start the next day with the new interval?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup copy jobs time interval/Copy time

Post by Mildur »

Hi jaques

You can choose between only saving the job settings and waiting for the current interval to finish or to start a new interval immediately after saving the new settings.
Or you can start a new interval by yourself after saving.

If the latest restore point was already copied in the last interval, then it will not be copied again. The job will wait until a new one is created at the source.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Post by kaboomza »

Hi there Mildur, I have done that and choose to option to immediately save the settings and restart the job with the new settings,but then it just goes back to "waiting for new copy interval" I know there are new restore points available that should be copied however its not starting immediately
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

They should be copied. You can read about the selection process here:
Backup Copy - Restore Point Selection

The creation date of your most recent restore point is greater than „Current Time - Intervall“. When a new interval starts, it should be picked up and copied to the backup repo target, if it not already was copied in the previous interval.

What happens if you choose Sync Now from the backup copy job menu?
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Post by kaboomza »

Thank you for the info Mildur, I think if I sync now it will copy the latest restore point, are you saying that's a way to basically force the job to honour the new copy interval immediately?

let me ask another question Mildur, if I set my copy interval to 24 hours and the job was not able to process everything during the copy interval, it will cancel the job and start a new copy interval and attempt to catch up right? I guess my question is partly what if I just have too much processing going on within a 24 hour period between normal jobs, replications, backup copy, and taking into consideration infrastructure capability, that is typically not enough time to process everything because the jobs are locked and resources are not available, hence why I go with a longer copy interval
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome.
are you saying that's a way to basically force the job to honor the new copy interval immediately?
Manual sync will restart the interval and veeam will copy the most recent restore point, if it‘s not already copied. It should honor your newly configured interval settings.
Guide - Manual Sync
it will cancel the job and start a new copy interval and attempt to catch up right?
You will get a warning, that not all restore points could be processed. Veeam starts a new interval and will check again for the most recent restore points for each machine/vm you want to copy the backups. Older restore points which are missed on the last interval will not be copied again. For that, you would need to configure the immediate backup copy mode. Then all restore points will always be copied.

You have two options. If you must copy the backups each 24 hours (copy RPO, business requirement needs to be checked) analyze your bottleneck's and build the backup environment in a way, that you can do each task in the required time window.
If it is not possible, then extending the backup window is necessary. For me, a backup copy every 6-7 days would be against our RPO policy. We need to have daily copies at a second location.