Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

Remove repository without losing information

Post by SerSunal »

I do the following query.
If a repository is removed, is the information still on the backup windows server?
If after that same repository I add it to Veeam, does it recognize the vbk and vib files contained?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Remove repository without losing information

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ser

Yes, removing a backup Repository from the console does not remove the backup files (fullbackups, incrementals and metadata).
You can reconnect the backup repository and the backup files will be available under imported todo a restore.

Read more about it in the official guide.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Veeam Backup & Replication does not remove backup files and other data stored in the backup repository. You can re-connect the backup repository at any time and import backups from this backup repository to Veeam Backup & Replication.
When you reconnect the backup repo to a new veeam backup installation, you can choose Search the repository for existing backups and import them automatically to import the existing backup files.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

Post by SerSunal »

Thanks Mildur.

If, in addition to deleting the repository, it is removed from Managed Servers, I assume that the vbk and vid files contained on that server are not removed either.
If it is later added to Veeam as a managed server and then added to a repository by enabling the option to search for information within, the information will not be lost either.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Veeam will not delete the files.
Not if you remove the backup repository.
And not if you remove the entire managed server.
The backup files will stay on the storage.

You will be able to import them when you reconnect the managed server to the veeam backup server.

If this is about your plan to take out all servers from the domain, it is not necessary to remove the backup repo. Follow my other recommendation to reconfigure the credentials and dns and you are good to go.
Removing the backup repository requires to delete the backup jobs first. I don‘t think you want that todo.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software