Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jfitton
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Fitton

V6 re-IP

Post by jfitton »

Hi
I am trying to get a server replicated over to another site. When using the wizard this all appears as one would expect however when failing over to the replicated server it appears that a new NIC is installed and the IP is never applied.

How do I get the re-IP preocess to keep the existing NIC and apply the IP change to that.

My layout is as follows for a test server
Site A Site B
VM Network ServerLAN
10.206.76.172 10.154.131.141

Thanks
John
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V6 re-IP

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John, looks like your issue has similar symptoms as this one, please take a look.
jfitton
Novice

Post by jfitton »

Thanks for the quick repsonse, I did some further testing with the patch applied to the guest. Whilst this now leaves the network connection it doesnt re-ip the server. Upon failover I still get the windows has installed new hardware please reboot prompt and the failed over server still has the original server IP.

How can I debug this further?

Thanks
John
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi, John. The quickest way would be to provide our support team with the full logs. Thanks.
jfitton
Novice

Post by jfitton »

Sorry new to Veeam how do I generate a support logs
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please use the Help > Support Information command in the main menu of the product.
fbroussey
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frederic BROUSSEY

Pre-requisite for re-ip

Post by fbroussey »

[merged]

Hello all,

I want to test re-ip feature. I've a VM with ip 10.166.194.223 and I configure a replication job with re-ip that change the serveur IP to 172.16.1.223 and remap the network to another network. The job ends successfully so I try a failover : the network mapping works great but the ip is not changed. I Try it with a WinXP machine and with a Windows 2003 server : same behaviour. So is there any prerequisites to use re-ip or do you try this feature with success ?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards

Frédéric
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Pre-requisite for re-ip

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Frederic, you need to submit debug logs to our support team for further investigation as I do not recall that there are any prerequisites to make it work. It just works.
fbroussey
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frederic BROUSSEY

Post by fbroussey »

Hi all,

Here is the answer of the VEEAM Support Team :
"Hi,

There is known issue where the re-ip will not work if trying to specify a specific IP. Using a range will work (leave last octet blank). This is currently being worked on by development, but I don't have an ETA, unfortunately.

Regards,
Crystal Gray
"
I tested it and it works with a range. But you cannot choose the ip you want ... so not very useful, in my case.

Regards

Frederic
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Frederic, thanks for coming back and updating the thread. Much appreciated.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

fbroussey wrote: I tested it and it works with a range. But you cannot choose the ip you want ... so not very useful, in my case.
So I'm curious, why is this not useful for you? In your posted example you provided:
fbroussey wrote:10.166.194.223 and I configure a replication job with re-ip that change the serveur IP to 172.16.1.223.
So with range substitution you would use:

10.166.194.D
172.16.1.D

This would substitute 10.166.194.223 with 172.16.1.223 and would give you the result you want.
cmcc82
Novice
Full Name: Celia Cristaldo

Post by cmcc82 »

Hi, I'm curious about this last response..
so, you don't have to specify the last number at the ip address, just put the "D" at source and target? How veeam knows what ip address last number must be?

Regards
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

It's simple network mapping, so the last digit would always be the same. For example, if you had a network that was 10.1.1.0/24 and a failover network that was 10.2.2.0/24, then the rule would simply be "10.1.1.D" -> "10.2.2.D" and thus any IP address that started with 10.1.1.X would be replaced with 10.2.2.X, with the X remaining the same.

Of course, if you have IP addresses that are already used in the remote site, then you will need to specify individual IP addresses, but this becomes a large burden for more than a small number of systems. Typically it is easier to simply create a "failover network" on the remote site and map all IP addresses from one site to the other network with a single rule.