Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
eduzimrs
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Eduardo Scheffer

S3 Compatible - Massive Problems

Post by eduzimrs »

Hi guys, i'd like to post here if anyone else are having problems working with Object Storage Compatible such as Zadara and Wasabi?

My company is a Gold and Veeam VASP Partner, last year we partner with Zadara to work with S3, since then we started to have multiple problems, we have notice that our customers were always complaining about problems in Veeam console along their backups never finished successfully and most of the time never finished at all, then we started to figure what was happening and where was the issue Veeam's or Zadara's?

Just to picture the scenario, we own a Zadara's Dedicate VPSA PREMIUM and it cannot deal with a couple of customers offloading their backups to it (following the Veeam's and Zadara's recommendations). We had an incident where the S3 went unavailable for almost a month.

The biggest problem we face is how are things going in order to solve those problems and if we have something coming to solve it?
We know that this is a major situation happening with Object Storage Compatible, and we had this with Wasabi too, some partners of ours are having the same issue working with Zadara, and we are just thinking about in pull this product off due to the massive complaining.

We have opened some case along last year, but none ever solved the issue at all.
Case #04666895 (closed)
Case #04869016 (closed)
Case #05145392 (closed)
Case #05188930 (closed)
Case #05203183 (opened and being escalated to next level)

Zadara Case - Ticket #1978799 (opened)

Thanks guys.
Eduardo Scheffer - VMCA Certified
--
Best Regards.
Eduardo K. Scheffer - SE
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: S3 Compatible - Massive Problems

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Eduardo

Wasabi is solid. I've saw nothing but great feedback in the past year, they are now up there in top 3 with Amazon and Azure as far as consumption and yet there are hardly any complaints lately.

Personally I don't know many customers or partners who are using Zadara but your experience is not particularly surprising. Looks like Zadara is going through classic teething issues, something we saw with virtually every other S3-compatible on-prem storage vendor. So if it helps, just know that every storage vendor have started like that... for example, one vendor who I've been confidently recommending these days was an absolute and utter mess a few years ago. But they took each issue very seriously and iterated their code quickly to get where they are today.

Thanks!