Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Aburns
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Burns

Veeam Enterprise Manager Indexing files older than default retention policy.

Post by Aburns »

Hello,

Case #05218393

I created this case earlier today but as it is not a big issue i'm not expecting a response today.

Our Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Server currently host our indexing files. The retention setup in Configuration -> Settings -> Session History is currently setup for 3 months and to keep Event history for 13 weeks.

The indexing of 3 very large servers which are about 1.5TB, 3TB (70 restore points each) and 7TB (14 restore points) are taking up roughly 650 GB of space on the server and have logs that go back to 04/2020 and is continuously going. Actually most VM index logs go back to 4/2020 for certain backups but are much smaller in size which is expected. With two File servers having around 5000 Files each and every other VM having around 1500 files each taking up around 1.2GB or less total.

Doing some rough calculations for the 2 file servers: with backups running every 4 hours for a total of 6 restore points a day I should have MAX 546 (top level) files created over a 3 month period for indexing. At the moment I have roughly 2600 top level files on the drive in the VM's folder.

Is there some larger setting I am missing that is making Enterprise Manager keep the older logs, is it due to the large size of each VM, or is it some older legacy backups that were deleted but are using the same file structure?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam Enterprise Manager Indexing files older than default retention policy.

Post by PetrM »

Hi Adam,

There are no additional settings to control retention besides the mentioned one, please continue to work with our support team to find out the root cause of the issue.

Thanks!