Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

NAS Backup to Cloud

Post by bg.ranken »

I'm trying to figure out how to get NAS backup data to any of the public clouds, like Azure or AWS.

For our regular VM data, we have scale out repositories that are extended for capacity and archive tiers. In them we selected the option to "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" so that we have a copy on-prem as well as in the cloud of all backup data.

I am trying to replicate the same thing with NAS backups but it is my understanding that while we can point NAS backups to a scale-out repository, the data would not flow to the capacity or archive tiers. Is that correct?

Assuming that is so, we would have thought the archive repository might fill that gap, however it appears there is no similar "copy backups as soon as they are created" type option for that. In that case, our only option appears to be to create an actual VM in one of the cloud vendors with attached local storage for a repository, then configure the jobs with a secondary target to that repository. We could still then use the archive repository to send to one of the cloud object storage buckets, however once the data was archived it would exist only in the cloud and not on-prem, only the data that hasn't been archived yet will be on-prem.

Am I understanding this all correctly? Is there anything else I'm missing?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: NAS Backup to Cloud

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Randall,
I am trying to replicate the same thing with NAS backups but it is my understanding that while we can point NAS backups to a scale-out repository, the data would not flow to the capacity or archive tiers. Is that correct?
Correct, Scale-Out repository capacity or archive tier do not provide integration with nas backup files.
We could still then use the archive repository to send to one of the cloud object storage buckets, however once the data was archived it would exist only in the cloud and not on-prem, only the data that hasn't been archived yet will be on-prem.
Right, archive repository allows to move file versions that are no longer covered by primary retention to a secondary repository which could be AWS or Azure.

For now it's only possible to configure backup copy job to a secondary repository in order to protect your primary backups (but such secondary repository also should be on-prem).

The functionality you are looking for is planned for next versions, so stay tuned for the product updates!