Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marty9876
Enthusiast
Liked: never

WAN Replication Issues: Unable to retrieve next block

Post by marty9876 »

Hi All,

Just setup a new target in a colo to replicate to and I can't get a replica job to finish. Keep getting Unable to retrieve next block transmission command errors. I was previously using the same source/same VBR server and a different WAN target with success (to my house). All traffic through VPN tunnels, no apparent issues with the tunnels.

I shipped the new target with a backup seed and was able to inflate that into the VM's themselves. I deleted one of the small VM's and tried a clean replication with no luck either.

Any thoughts where to look next?

Thanks,
Marty
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: WAN Replication Issues: Unable to retrieve next block

Post by foggy »

Marty, this kind of error is usually inherent in a connectivity issue. I would recommend to provide full logs to our support team for them to locate the problem.
jmacdaddy
Novice
Liked: never

Post by jmacdaddy »

I am suspicious about the claim that this is connectivity related.

I have run into this problem with two of my clients already. In each case, they were v6 replication jobs replicating to existing v5 replicas configured as seeds. In one case we deleted the job and set it up fresh to replicate without a seed and it seemed to work better. In the second instance, I didn't recreate the job but instead deleted the replica at the remote site and removed the seed from the settings of the v6 replication job. This latter job continues to fail with 'next block transmission errors'.

One more thing. While receiving these errors I have run continuous ping tests to the remote Veeam proxy and never lost a ping. Yet I still got the error.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but I've seen this same basic issue twice myself, and in both cases the problem was a lack of available space on the target datastore. V6 replication uses significantly more space per restore point than V5 due to the fact that V6 uses VMware native snapshots, thus they can't be compressed/dedupliated. The issue was simply that the datastore didn't have any more space, and thus more blocks could not be sent. Just something to check.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I started getting this error on a single VM over the weekend ( a new file server which I just copied about 100GB to) on a backup job. I found this http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2 ... hyper-v-vm

which seems to suggest there may be a bug in veeamagent.exe.

Can anyone comment on this before I open a support case?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I suspect that there might be several reasons of this error (very general wording is given in the error text) and the situation described in the mentioned discussion is not necessarily similar to yours. The real reason could be discovered after reviewing the logs only.