Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
henrycua
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Henry Awad

Do I need migration tool if upgrading from vCenter 6.7 to 7.0

Post by henrycua »

I'm going to be upgrading my vCenter appliance from version 6.7 to 7.0 and wanted to see if I need to make and configuration changes or use a migration tool in order to make sure that my backups don't fail. We're currently running Veeam version 10.0.0.4461.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Do I need migration tool if upgrading from vCenter 6.7 to 7.0

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Normally, upgrading vCenter in-place does not impact Veeam since unique VM IDs (moRef) don't change.
henrycua
Novice

Post by henrycua »

Thanks Gostev for the confirmation. We needed to use the migration tool in the past but as you mentioned this is no longer needed since the VM IDs are not changing. I just wanted to get confirmation to avoid any surprises after migration.
paul_naglic
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Naglic

Post by paul_naglic »

Henrycua,

Did your upgrade work with no MoRef issues or issues with Veeam in regards to your existing backups?

I have the same question and I am preparing to upgrade our VCSA 6.5 to 7.0. I'm also seeking confirmation the MoRef IDs will not be re-generated.
henrycua
Novice

Post by henrycua » 2 people like this post

Yes, the upgrade went smoothly without any issues but always make sure that the vSphere version is supported by the version of Veeam that you are using before the upgrade. Otherwise, your backups might not work until you upgrade Veeam to the version that supports vSphere. That goes to any other system that integrates with vSphere as far as verifying compatibility. The Veeam upgrades have also been pretty smooth especially v.11 (the latest version supports vCenter 7.0 U3, Windows Server 2022 and Windows 11).