Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
scotteberg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: john meyers

Quick GFS backup to Archive Tier

Post by scotteberg »

Currently we are performing backups in a Azure based SOBR and backups take the current storage path:

Performance Tier holds them for 7 days, at the end of the backup job the and copied to Capacity with the SOBR Offload.

After 7 days they are moved to the Capacity Tier (but they are already there because of the copy so this takes 0 time)

The backups live in the Azure Cool Capacity Tier for 31 days

and after 31 Days GFS backups are written to Azure Archive Tier GFS is flagged for 20 years retention.

I am looking for a way to setup a backup job to have it end up in the Archive tier as quickly as possible. A case would be I am decommissioning a server and want to take a final backup and flag it with a GFS Year flag and store in Archive Tier offsite for 20 years.

Anybody have a way of accomplishing this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Quick GFS backup to Archive Tier

Post by Gostev »

I think you would have to create a dedicated SOBR with the Copy mode enabled, as this is essential to get backups copied to Azure Blob Storage as soon as possible. Then you would use this SOBR as a target for VeeamZIP operation prior to decommissioning the VM. However, I'm not sure if VeeamZIP provides the 20 year retention option you're looking for, as this is not a typical one.
scotteberg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: john meyers

Post by scotteberg »

I'm testing that and built out a SOBR for this purpose with 0 Days between each Tier. I can create a job with VeeamZIP and after running the Tiering job twice it ends up in the Archive Tier but why?

I thought the GFS backups were the only thing that eneded up in the Archive Tier are their other backup type that end up there such as VeeamZip?

Also is there a similar process to VeeamZip for Physical Servers?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi John
I thought the GFS backups were the only thing that eneded up in the Archive Tier are their other backup type that end up there such as VeeamZip?
From the guide:
The following types of backup files are suitable for archive storage:
- Backup files with GFS flags assigned
- VeeamZIP backup files
- Exported backup files
- Orphaned backups
Veeam Agents don‘t have VeeamZip functionality. You could do an export of the existing backups, the export will be stored on the same repo as the source restore points. So you must backup the agent once to the new SOBR with the 0 days between each tier. And after the backup, you can do an export. It should be offloaded to the capacity tier and then to the archive tier. If I read the information right from the guide.
Maybe Anton knows a better method :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software