Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
aposys
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: M-Computer

vhdx stored on an iscsi storage attached to host gets access denied when backing up

Post by aposys »

Hello!

I have a problem with my backup of a Hyper-V server that is stored on an ISCSI target attached to the Hyper-V host, to expand its storage temporarily.
we are able to use the vm with the storage location after some fiddling with access rights (adding Hyper-V administrators’ group to have access) but the backup says "Error creating memory for save set. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. (0x80070570)"
I manually added the user "backup-operators" with full access to the whole disk, subfolder and vhdx file within but there was no difference in errors yet.
I am however able to backup all my vm's that are stored on a local drive on the same Hyper-V host.
I tried to find anything related in here but couldn’t.
Just to clarify upfront I am not using ISCSI inside the vm I am trying to back up, itself is stored on an ISCSI target.

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1409 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: vhdx stored on an iscsi storage attached to host gets access denied when backing up

Post by Andreas Neufert »

aposys
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: M-Computer

Re: vhdx stored on an iscsi storage attached to host gets access denied when backing up

Post by aposys »

@Andreas Neufert
this is not my problem, my vm is booting and working perfectly fine, only the snapshot function doesnt work.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1409 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The snapshot function will create additional files within the folder, so my guess is that there are existing files there that can not be deleted (ahvdx) or the VM service process can not create those.
As we use default Hyper-V checkpoints/snapshot for the processing, my guess is that you can manually reproduce the error by creating and removing snapshots in the VM management console of Hyper-V.
If you face issues there (unrelated to Veeam), I would open a ticket at Microsoft. Our support can maybe help as well. Please create a ticket there (this is not a support forum and our visibility for infrastructure issues and their usual resolution is limited).