Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
c0mical
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Gary Dufley

new job, same data that is protected

Post by c0mical »

Hi all

Id like to find out what people think the best course of action would be in my circumstances. we have an agent backup job that was running on a WSFC failover cluster file server. this was backup up to a SOBR which was tiered to AWS

We have just removed the WSFC cluster in favour of single servers, I have had to create new backup jobs within VBR (cant use clustered type for non clustered) which was fairly easy

my question is what do to with the old jobs, they have backup data attached to them in performance capacity tiers which I don’t want to accidentally remove but I am unsure whether it is best to just disable the job, or remove the protected volumes from the jobs, but I think that if I disable or remove the selections that Veeam wont be able to manage the retention policies

thanks!

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2289 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: new job, same data that is protected

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gary

Are you using Veeam V11?
There is a new background retention job for old gfs restore points (in a disabled job or removed from a job).
It checks every 24 hours which backup files are out of date and removes them. This will not work for imported restore points, because they doesn‘t have a retention assigned. But it will work for standard and orphaned restore points.

For the short term retention, veeam uses the outdated backup retention policy.( Remove deleted items data after).

So it doesn‘t matter if you delete or disable the backup job. With Veeam V11, the retention policy should work either way. Your backups will be deleted accordingly to how you specified your retention policy.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
c0mical
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Gary Dufley

Re: new job, same data that is protected

Post by c0mical »

I am indeed using v11 for agent jobs with GFS. thank you very much for the info