RESTful knowledge exchange
costas
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Costas Loupas

Retry Job via the VBR REST API

Post by costas »

Hi all
I am using the VBR REST API, i can see there is an endpoint to start a job, but not one to retry a job. Is there such endpoint? Or is it the start one but the request body/Query params that determine if it is a retry or a start?
I also had a look at the PowerShell reference guide and the job start has a -retrybackup parametre which makes me think that something similar must be possible with the REST call but it is not obvious to me.

Thanks
Costas
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Retry Job via the VBR REST API

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Costas,

Is this method what you are looking for?

Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Costas,

This call is, indeed, not available in VBR REST API. Unlike in EM REST API, as Natalia mentioned.
But thanks for your feedback, we'll plan to add it to one of the next releases.

Best regards,
Oleg
costas
Novice

Post by costas »

Hi Natalia and Oleg

Thanks for your responses. It seems what I want to do requires a combination of the EM API and the VBR API which complicates things!

Thanks
Costas
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Costas,

Is it only the job retry call that prevents you from using just VBR REST? If not, can you let me know please what other methods you are not finding in VBR REST that are present in EM REST? Given that it is VBR functionality that you need.

Thanks,
Oleg
costas
Novice

Post by costas »

Hi Oleg
I would lie to be able to do the following:
Find out why a job has failed and provide detailed information about job progress
Give the user the option to retry the job (the user reads the job log and decides if a retry is going to work or not)
The EM REST API does not provide access to job logs (which contain the error messages). It tells you that a job has failed, it even has an element for the result message but it is null. However through the EM REST API, a failed job can be retried.
I also think the EM REST API has different calls for agent and VM jobs. I think EM is a paid for component and i am not sure how many people use it.
The VBR REST API has job session information, which is great as i can see everything about the job but it does not have the retry option, only restart which is not what i want to do.
I want the utility to be accessible to the vast majority of Veeam users without dependency on optional components. However my aim is to provide a solution and if the solution requires EM so be it.

Thanks
Costas
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Costas,

Got it. We enhance our VBR REST step by step and already have features in place for vNext. So, EM REST might be a workaround here. I did note your feedback though for one of VBR REST next versions.

Thanks,
Oleg