Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hirratas
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Built in Update Function in B&R

Post by hirratas »

Hello

I did not found something about this request.

So i want to ask if the guys at veeam already thought about building a bulit in update functionality.

So the admins do not always have to download the latest image.

Thanks a lot
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Built in Update Function in B&R

Post by veremin »

We have thought about this and introduced update notification functionality which allows you stay updated on new product version availability. The final decision about installing it or not is still yours though, cause we don't necessarily find it feasible to install something automatically in numerous environments. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, he never said anything about "installing automatically"... so let's better understand what is the ask here instead of assuming. Although in any case, I don't understand why you say Veeam does not find it feasible to do what Microsoft has been doing for ages? I personally don't agree with this statement as I think at least critical security and reliability updates are quite important to install quickly and ideally automatically (while still leaving some level of control to a user).

hirratas, may be you can explain what specific issue are you looking for us to solve, as physically downloading the new code can't really be avoided if you want to upgrade? Is your request here perhaps about downloading ISO with a click of a button in UI vs. from a web site as today, or are you talking about something completely different?
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 52 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP » 2 people like this post

My guess is, he wants some functionality as there is in Veeam Backup for Office 365 - where on startup, you're told there's a new update, and it can be installed very easily.

I understand though, that there are many more moving parts in a VBR install, potential dependencies such as Enterprise Manager, and so on. Also, it's relatively uncommon that VBR updates are urgent, whereas Microsoft seems to break something in the 365/Azure API when they feel like it :D
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec » 2 people like this post

Or functionality like what VAW has. You get an update available notification, then click a download button, then click an install button, then rebuild the recovery media. It's all just a bunch of clicks.

For VBR, you get an update notification, then you've got to sign in to my.veeam.com (possibly mess around with MFA - I don't remember if Veeam has implemented that yet), then figure out if you should download the ISO or a patch, then delete the "Veeam Download Details" email you get for downloading something from my.veeam.com. Forget about automatic installation. It would be a big improvement if the update notification provided a download link that worked without having to sign in to my.veeam.com.

I read somewhere that VBR Community Edition comes with the expectation that users will be first in line to install updates in order to be early testers in exchange for the free functionality (a fair trade). I expected Windows-like forced updates in that edition. With not providing an easy way to download the updates, you're putting friction in the way of the goal of the Community Edition users helping out with product quality.
hirratas
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by hirratas » 1 person likes this post

Steve-nIP wrote: Jan 03, 2022 10:05 am My guess is, he wants some functionality as there is in Veeam Backup for Office 365 - where on startup, you're told there's a new update, and it can be installed very easily.

I understand though, that there are many more moving parts in a VBR install, potential dependencies such as Enterprise Manager, and so on. Also, it's relatively uncommon that VBR updates are urgent, whereas Microsoft seems to break something in the 365/Azure API when they feel like it :D
Yes, exactly. I would think it would already help if the Console at least can download the latest iso itself. Because we do not have a browser installed on our servers and the preinstalled ie/edge has the default strict settings that make it impossible or hard do go to the veeam website and make the download.

So i have to transfer the file somehow to the server from my workstation. I think you guys could make it easier.

Also if there is an automatic update (and not just a notification that there is an update and that it can be downloaded with one click) one should be able to choose if it is installed silently in the background automatically or if i want to install it myself.

Also I never no immediately if there is a new update of b&R. I just manually sometimes go to the veeam site and check it when.
This is not the right way i feel, especcially in terms of security issues addressed by the update.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

At the very least we could do the following:
1. Automatically download ISO from the product into %TEMP%.
2. Mount it (modern Windows OS can do it natively).
3. Run the setup.
I think it addresses most of the concerns above? @Egor Yakovlev FYI.

hirratas we delay new version notifications for existing customers until they prove stable in the field. There's currently no capability to notify about patches but we are adding these in v12. In any case, you will get email notification from support whenever we have a critical security or data loss issue.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

This would be a huge help. We have a number of managed customers in our VCC environment, and the process of upgrading their VBR today is either:
1) Use VCC to log into their VBR, then log in to my.veeam.com, etc
2) Download the ISO to VCC, log into the Customers' VBR, use RDP to transfer the ISO, mount and install

It would be much easier if there was the option within the VBR, as @Gostev suggested, to download latest ISO, mount it, and start the setup - even if it still remains a manual process after that.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 2 people like this post

Noted.
We have some update improvement ideas in mind as well, and I will see what can be done here.
/Thanks for feedback!