Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

CDP sync failed but troubleshooting wasn't that quick

Post by mcz » 1 person likes this post

Dear PM's,

in December I've installed the latest patch which also updated some CDP components. After that, CDP failed. First I didn't realize it and some days later I've tried to uninstall the filter driver, which caused some serious troubles, but that's not the topic of that thread.

After installing the filter driver again last week we tried to bring CDP back to life - case #05197698. Finally, it was just the same picture before I've uninstalled the filter driver - no active sync/replication.

We've recreated the CDP policy and then it showed us 'initial sync' which makes totally sense. But it was stuck at this particular step, it just never reported errors or warnings or any hints why it was stuck. Support also didn't find the right hint in the logs at first glance and so I was wondering why there was no data transfer (which would be displayed by the throughput graphs in the UI). So I started sniffing on the cdp proxy and realized that there was no active connection between host and proxy (blocked connections).

So at the end it was easy to fix that - allow the connections and CDP started syncing with the full bandwith.
As always, it's quite easy if you know how to fix it and what the real issue is.

My feedback here: If we ever had the hint in the UI, that there was no active connection between host and proxy, I guess it was fixed within 10 minutes. Also, I'd like to mentioned that I've started with a different case in december (which got merged into the current one) and there the engineer also didn't find the neccessary hint. So two engineers which haven't found the culprit, plus me which had no idea about the broken connections between host and proxy. What I wannt to say is that someone would have found this hint if it was written somewhere (UI or logs). I've got the feeling that the error reporting regarding CDP policies could be improved.

Maybe I'm wrong but maybe I'm not - you will tell me!

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: CDP sync failed but troubleshooting wasn't that quick

Post by PetrM »

Hi Michael,

I think it's a reasonable request to improve logging, however I'm not sure about UI yet but the idea to add a corresponding message in debug logs totally makes sense. Many thanks for your feedback!

Thanks!