Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pleibling
Novice
Liked: never

Problem with 10 GBit Backup

Post by pleibling »

Hello,

my customer use 3 ESXI Hosts with 10 GBit Interface directly on one Switch, the NAS Backupstorage is too 10 GBit on the same Switch (default VLAN 100), on the Host there is an virtual Firewall - on the same Interface there has every Hosts an VLAN 123 for Management.

Every VM has VMXNET3 Adapter. The Backupserver is in the Default VLAN and has Access to the NAS (Firewallrules ok, NAT deactivated, IPS deactivated).

But the Backup runs slow (round 1 GBit, not 10 GBit). Some Weeks ago, there was no Management VLAN und the Backup reaches full Speed (near 10 GBit).

Now i have some questions:

1) If Vcenter, Host and NAS on the same Network - are the connections only between this devices without the Backupserver?
2) If the the Servers in the Default VLAN, did the Backups are limited to the 1 GBit of the Firewall?
3) Did i need something like vMotion Network (the customer has Essentials License - not Essentials Plus, this has nothings like vMotion)?

Thanks for your Help.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: Problem with 10 GBit Backup

Post by RomanK »

Hello Pleibling,

Could you please let us know what are your bottleneck stats?

Please also note that there is a backup proxy component that is responsible for transmitting the data.

1. Backup proxy operates as a data mover and transfers data from the source to the data mover residing on the backup repository server. Depending on the configuration, the backup proxy role may be assigned to the backup server.
2. No, there is no such limitation.
3. No, there is no such requirement.

Thanks
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Problem with 10 GBit Backup

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,

did I get it right, that you recently added the management network?
Depending on where the management ports of your ESXi hosts are located now you may run into an issue if you use NBD backup.
Can you please clarify:

1. What backup mode do you use (NBD, HotAdd, DirectSAN)?
2. What ports are in the management network and which ports are in the default VLAN?
3. Where is the Veeam proxy installed (on one single host with VBR management itself or somehow as a role on a different machine?

Requires some more details to help here.
To your questions:
1. Not sure I understand correctly but the backupserver always has to have a connection to the devices you name here (at least most roles will need to have).
2. The backups will only be limited by the firewall if, for some reason, data travels from VLAN100 to VLAN123 or the other direction (see my comment above).
3. No, as mentioned by @RomanK this has nothing to do with vMotion at all.

Please provide the requested details.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA