Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leandro Alegre

SQL Database Restore - Multiple Issues

Post by Lalegre »

Hello all!

Case # 03792544

I have specific two issues when doing SQL Server Restore:
  • When i click in Restore to Original server it gives me the error "The network path not found"
  • When i restore to another server, specifying the same server but using the IP i fails with "Failed to call RPC function 'MSiSCSIMountTargetDisks' "
I digged into the logs displayed in both Guest machine and Veeam Server and i found the next:

Relating to the first issue, it is failing because the original server is not joined to the domain and it tries to restore using the HOSTNAME but obviously the DNS Resolution does not work. If i select the option "Restore to another server" and point to the IP to the same server it connects but then after i complete the credentials and also do the connection, the second issue appears where the Guest Client machine cannot connect to the iSCSI port used for Mount Operations.

There is no firewall between the networks.
If i do a Telnet from the Guest Client to the Veeam Server holding the Mount Server role i can connect to the range port 3260-3270.
I am not doing point-in-time restore so no SQL Staging used.
The logs of the Guest Client shows that it cannot connect to port 3260 (or the next ones in the iSCSI ranges)
I can see on the guest machine the Event ID 113 relating to errors on "SendTargets" command.
The SQL Server is W2012 with SQL Server 2016

Maybe this is an important point but i have three nics configured on my Veeam Server. Two to connect to different networks relating to vSphere Infrastructure access and the last one to do the Application Backup / Restore.

In resume i need to resolve the issues and understood if these are expected behaviours relating the configurations mentioned above.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SQL Database Restore - Multiple Issues

Post by PetrM »

Hi Leandro!

What do you think about a simple test by editing hosts file on your Veeam server in order to map SQL server hostname to its IP?
The hosts file should be located here: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.

My guess is that 'MSiSCSIMountTargetDisks' function would return an error if there was no DNS resolution.

Thanks!
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Hi Petr,

The issue about the Network Path relates to the DNS but even after editing the Hosts file the "MSiSCSIMountTargetDisks" error showed up again.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Leandro!

At least, we know that "MSiSCSIMountTargetDisks" fails due to another reason than DNS resolution.
Feel free to escalate the case if you feel that this issue requires deeper investigation.

By the way, did "Restore to original location" work after hosts file is edited?

Thanks!
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

Hi Petr!

No, it not worked after editing the hosts file.

Thanks!
Lalegre
Influencer

Post by Lalegre »

{LOGS REMOVED}

The Mount Server is in a Multi-Home configuration i mean it has three network cards. One of it's cards is where the restore traffic goes, could this be the issue?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, avoid posting log snippets here, it's against forum rules. The team behind this community cannot assist you deep log investigation, so, please, keep working with your support engineer. Thanks!
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

Hi!

Ran into below error when trying to do a MS SQL database restore using EM self-service portal (vcloud). I understand what Veeam is trying to do but I don't understand why it should be needed for the client to connect to the mount server..? We have NAT firewall between backup envinroment and the client. When the client in this case tries to connect to internal ip-address (mount server) it is a problem. Why can't vbr do a "normal" file (mdf,ldf) restore from vbr to client and then do the rest from SQL server. Why is a iscsi connection from client needed?

"Failed to call RPC function 'MSiSCSIMountTargetDisks' "

\Magnus
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Magnus,

Yes, this is the current design. The iSCSI initiator on the client side must be able to connect to mount server to perform iSCSI mount in order to start data restore. However, how "normal" restore from VBR to client will help to address the issue? As far as I understand, there is NAT firewall between the client and backup environment.

Thanks!
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit » 1 person likes this post

Hi

As long as traffic is initiated from inside NAT firewall as with file restore over smb. Then there is no issue. But I guess there is alot behind the scenes that I don't know about. ISCSI connection from outside NAT firewall seems in general like a issue. I have created support case 05249591 to see what options I have.

\Magnus