Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
isbmsab
Novice
Liked: never

Perpetual vs Subscription VUL

Post by isbmsab »

Hello everyone,

In preparation for the transition to VUL, I was reading through the Veeam Licensing Policy page and came across the following definitions:
“Perpetual License” means a License Type that grants Customers the right to use, in perpetuity, any version of the Software delivered prior to the Support and Maintenance expiration date reflected in the license file provided, however, that License Keys are updated from time to time.
“Subscription License” means a License Type that grants Customers the right to use the latest version of the Software for a specified length of time or term, depending on SKU purchased.
Currently, with a perpetual socket license, I am able to go to the my.veeam.com portal and download a .lic license file for Veeam 11, 10, 9.5 Update 4, and 9.5 pre-Update 4. If I were to switch to a subscription VUL, does that mean I would only be able to download a .lic license file for Veeam 11?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Perpetual vs Subscription VUL

Post by Mildur »

Hi

Veeam 9.5 will be out of support starting end of january 2022. And Veeam 9.5 doesn‘t know VUL licensing in the Code. VUL started with V10.

So, I don‘t think you will get to download any license for 9.5 after this month. You can to try to get one (instance license, the predecessor of the VUL) over veeam licensing support.
So you can use the VUL with your V10 and V11 installations.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
isbmsab
Novice

Post by isbmsab »

Hi Mildur,

Thanks for the reply. So with the VUL subscription license, I should still be able to download Veeam 11 and 10 license files?
The definition makes it seem like I would only be able to download Veeam 11 license files i.e. the latest version.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Please note that the forums are run by R&D and that licensing questions should be asked to your Veeam sales rep. Licensing is out of scope of R&D.

Technically the question for V10 / V11 is irrelevant, because it's the same license file (V10 accepts V11 .lic files and vice versa).

I asked one of my sales colleagues and he pointed to 1.11.4 of the license policy
1.11.4. Legacy Licenses
In case a Customer on maintenance needs a License Key for a legacy product version Veeam may provide such a License Key, with the condition that the License terms and License Units are available for that legacy product version. Please see if the “Previous version” action is available for the License Key on the Customer portal.
While I agree that the sentence could be misunderstanding, my sales colleague told me that the focus is on
for a specified length of time or term
For further licensing questions, please consult your Veeam sales rep.

Thanks,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

We introduced the new license file format with V10 which does not specify the product version at all. Unlike the original Veeam license file format that was used since inception.
isbmsab
Novice

Post by isbmsab »

Thanks for the clarifications everyone.