Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
borgiaj
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Borgia

Move/Migrate to New Physical Proxy Servers

Post by borgiaj »

Hello all.

I have two newly built physical servers that I need to migrate to from my old physical servers. The two old servers have two disks each connected to a fiber channel array. All four disks are built into a SOBR across the two current servers.

To get to the new servers, I was wondering if I could just shutdown the old servers. Swing their storage over to the new servers. Rename the new servers with the old hostnames and IPs. From here it gets muddy for me. I was thinking delete the old servers from the Veeam configuration and add/re-create the new ones with the same hostnames and storage. This should put all the necessary Veeam proxy configurations on the new servers. Then re-scan the storage. After this, I figure I should be migrated. Or....am I way off on this one? Perhaps I might need to rebuild the individual repositories along with the SOBR afterward, then make sure all the jobs have the correct repository.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Move/Migrate to New Physical Proxy Servers

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Joe, unless the backups are encrypted, instead of deleting the servers from Veeam B&R (you cannot do that anyway as they hold the infrastructure role) you would need to re-run the repository wizard for each of them to upload and install the required components. You do not need to re-create the SOBR itself. Don't forget to disable the jobs prior to the migration.
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

Hmm. Well, my backups are not encrypted. It's been a while since I've had to add a proxy or a repository, so I don't really remember, but for these two new servers that will have the same hostname and IP as the old ones, all I have to do is re-run the repository wizard for each of those drives and that's it? You're saying doing that will install all of the required components for those servers when it doesn't find them on the new servers. That sounds almost too easy, but that's great if I'm understanding.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Should work this way.
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

I'll give this a shot - You might have saved me a bunch of heartache here. Thanks.
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj » 1 person likes this post

This worked like a charm. Simply added the repository storage to the new servers, then ran the wizard on each repository on each new proxy. It went and installed the components that weren't there and everything just worked. Pretty slick.

Thank you!