Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
falkob
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Falko Banaszak

Reporting on single items

Post by falkob »

Hi all,

I was wondering how to get the backed-up size of a single mailbox or also a single OneDrive account out of VBO.
At first I was thinking about leveraging the "Get-VBOMailboxProtectionReport" and grep the relevant lines out of it somehow. But the report only shows licensed users and not shared mailboxes.
The goal would be to get information about how much data a single "mailbox" or "onedrive" account consumes in the repository. Is there a possibility to achieve that while having a restore session running and use the PowerShell cmdlets for the specific Explorer like "Get-VEXMailbox" or "Get-VEXItem"
Maybe I also have overlooked something, or this request turns into a feature request :)
Thanks !
VCP6.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV, VMCE, VMCA, Veeam Vanguard, VMware vExpert
https://www.virtualhome.blog
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 712 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Reporting on single items

Post by Polina »

Hi Falko,

VBO doesn't provide such information.
Could you please elaborate a bit on why do you need it?
falkob
Veeam Vanguard

Post by falkob »

Hi Polina,
there are different reasons.
1. General reporting and comparison of backed-up data to data residing in M365.
2. estimations on how long restores will approximately take (based on the information how big a mailbox or onedrive account is)
3. migration scenarios - switching repositories and do that on a user scope, which is more predictable when I know which user has which amount of data in the repository and therefore can decide which users I want to migrate at first and so on.

Quickly, these 3 reasons come to my mind. I guess there are even more.

Is there anything planned in this direction ?
Thanks !
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1264 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@falkob
Does it has to be VBO that delivers this information? Or can it come through different solutions from Veeam?
falkob
Veeam Vanguard

Post by falkob »

Hi Mike,

I would expect the information I'm searching for out of VBO. Furthermore I'd compare this with VBR where you can go to Backups > Disk and view the VMs original size and the size it has in the repository.
MarkusN
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Markus

Post by MarkusN »

Maybe I have too high Expectations, coming from VBR, but getting Informations about what is in VBO Backup is extreme hard.
Starting with is the User in Backup, what is Backed up (Exchange, OneDrive, SharePoint), when was the last successfull backup (Users with no active MS License are not shown in Report), to how much Data is Backed up (Size and count of Data). These are all Informations that sometimes are needed and have to be reported.

@Mike I also would expect it to come from VBO. Maybe even from Enterprise Manager, but for sure not from ONE, if this was your intention.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, that was indeed what I was requesting. Not from Veeam ONE because you are not using it?
djonestp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Jones

Post by djonestp »

I'm adding on to this as a feature request, but my specific concern is with the size of my OneDrive backup. It is large and I'm not able to identify which users OneDrive accounts are the problem.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 712 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Derek,

Your request is noted.
Same question as above - would you expect to get this information directly from VBO or, for example, via Veeam ONE?
Switchie_Urs
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Urs

Post by Switchie_Urs »

+1
We're also looking for that information, preferably some of it made available for customer self-service. So an addition to VSPC reporting might work for us

Urs
Henrik.Grevelund
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Henrik Grevelund

Post by Henrik.Grevelund »

+1

It would be nice to know how many objects a mailbox has stored in the datastore. And also the amount of space it uses.
Have nice day,
Henrik
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@Henrik.Grevelund

Knowing how many objects a mailbox has stored and the amount of space it uses is a rather challenging task. Each "change" to a mailitem (or each version to a document) will be seen as a new version and therefore the object # will be rather huge and we certainly will get complaints that the numbers don't match :-)

That said, we understand that more granularity is needed and we are looking into some further enhancement in this type of reporting for vNext