Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
derekmccoy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek McCoy

Slow Backup performance

Post by derekmccoy »

Hi, I have downloaded a trial of Veeam Office 365 backup after hearing how good it was in several places as we currently use a another product but it's not the best in terms of features. Initial setup was simple enough but when it came to running the backup job, the performance was dreadfully slow. Averaging between 500-800kbps, it will take months to backup at this rate! Bandwidth is not an issue, we have a leased line and easily get 200meg down.
Surely something must be wrong? I have read about auxiliary accounts but that option is greyed out for me...? I have the latest version, downloaded only last week. A bit disappointing since the rest of it seems to be pretty sweet.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Slow Backup performance

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

@derekmccoy

What authentication method are you using?
What does it say about the bottleneck?

Just 2 questions to start with to see what might be an issue
flavio.santos
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Flavio Santos

Post by flavio.santos » 1 person likes this post

Hello @derekmccoy

There are 2 things I normally do to help the first full backup:

1 - Change the Microsoft Throttling - Microsoft limit Veeam (and anyone) to download a large amount of data, so you can reduce the Throttling. Remember that this applies only to Exchange data. This guide will help: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... ttling-720

2 - Auxiliary accounts or Auxiliary Application - This will help with SharePoint, OneDrive, and Teams data. You can create extra accounts to connect with Microsoft and get your data. We normally suggest based on users or backup size:
  • 50 to 100 users or 1 to 2 TB of data - 4 accounts
  • 100 to 200 users or 2 to 4 TB of data - 8 accounts
  • 200 to 400 users or 4 to 12 TB of data - 16 accounts
  • 400+ users or 12 TB+ of data - 32 accounts
The auxiliary account is for Basic authentication, and Auxiliary Application is for Modern Authentication.

Another thing that helps is to separate the products. We suggest one repository and one job for Exchange, a second one for OneDrive, and the Third one for SharePoint + Teams.

Hope it helps.
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

Mike Resseler wrote: Jan 12, 2022 7:45 am @derekmccoy

What authentication method are you using?
What does it say about the bottleneck?

Just 2 questions to start with to see what might be an issue
Basic Auth.

Bottleneck is mostly "source" although every now and then it's "target"
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

flavio.santos wrote: Jan 12, 2022 7:50 pm Hello @derekmccoy

There are 2 things I normally do to help the first full backup:

1 - Change the Microsoft Throttling - Microsoft limit Veeam (and anyone) to download a large amount of data, so you can reduce the Throttling. Remember that this applies only to Exchange data. This guide will help: https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... ttling-720

2 - Auxiliary accounts or Auxiliary Application - This will help with SharePoint, OneDrive, and Teams data. You can create extra accounts to connect with Microsoft and get your data. We normally suggest based on users or backup size:
  • 50 to 100 users or 1 to 2 TB of data - 4 accounts
  • 100 to 200 users or 2 to 4 TB of data - 8 accounts
  • 200 to 400 users or 4 to 12 TB of data - 16 accounts
  • 400+ users or 12 TB+ of data - 32 accounts
The auxiliary account is for Basic authentication, and Auxiliary Application is for Modern Authentication.

Another thing that helps is to separate the products. We suggest one repository and one job for Exchange, a second one for OneDrive, and the Third one for SharePoint + Teams.

Hope it helps.
1 - Tried that. It did not make a difference

2 - The option to manage accounts is greyed out for me. I'm not sure if thats because I'm only backing up Exchange?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

2) adding auxiliary accounts does not help for Exchange indeed.

So I am afraid that you are getting throttled. But how much and if something can be done about it might be difficult to check without the logs. So please create a support call and post the case ID here for further follow up
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

Thanks Mike, support case number 05227723
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

Umm........

Dear Derek,

This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification. Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.

Brilliant, thanks for that.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 712 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Derek,

For trial and Community Edition versions, support is provided on a best-effort basis, depending on the load. If the issue persists, please reopen the case, or create a new one.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you switch to modern auth. Typically, it allows for better backup speeds.

Thanks!
flavio.santos
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Flavio Santos

Post by flavio.santos »

@Derek

Did you reduce the Microsoft Throttling? We normally use 60 or 90 days for that (on the Microsoft support page).

This normally helps me a lot.

For Exchange, there are some tricks that help:

1 - Reduce the Throttling, this is the first thing for sure.
2 - Create different repositories for different products (1 repository for OneDrive, 1 for SharePoint + Teams, 1 for Exchange, at least)
3 - Create more than one backup job for Exchange, with a smaller list of users. I normally split it into E1, E3, and E5 accounts.
4 - If you have a large group, like E3 for example, make the first full backup un chunks, Like add the first 50 users only, do the first full backup for them, after you add more 500 and run the job again. With that, you have some restore points and in the subsequent runs, you will not back up everything again.

Remember to create one repository for each job, making them smaller.

If you can create a proxy and split your jobs between the VBO server and proxy, it also helps.

Hope it helps.

;)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

How much storage are we talking about? If I understood it correctly, you are talking about max 10 users with the community edition?
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

Polina wrote: Jan 20, 2022 1:24 pm Hi Derek,

For trial and Community Edition versions, support is provided on a best-effort basis, depending on the load. If the issue persists, please reopen the case, or create a new one.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you switch to modern auth. Typically, it allows for better backup speeds.

Thanks!
The case did not let me select anything other than Community edition. I was trialing this product to actually pay for it and backup my entire tenant.
derekmccoy
Novice

Post by derekmccoy »

Mike Resseler wrote: Jan 21, 2022 9:07 am How much storage are we talking about? If I understood it correctly, you are talking about max 10 users with the community edition?
No, this wasn't about community edition. I have a 30 day trial for the full thing which is what I would need.

The entirety of my Exchange is roughly 5TB, but I was only doing a batch of 30 users which amounted to only 50GB
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In that case something went wrong, because if you have a trial license (or POC as we call it) you should be able to create a support call

Did you register on the support portal? I assume you registered already at our website to download the trial so it should be possible to create a normal support call with that ID. If not, let me know, I will talk to support to see how we can fix this