Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

B&R 11 and Physical Server

Post by NorthGuard »

I am setting up a Veeam "appliance," which is basically a standalone computer running B&R 11. The intent is to backup a physical server to this box.

I have installed B&R, but am now a bit confused as there are no options to add a physical server. If I click Home > Backup Job, my only options are "Virtual Machine" and "File Share."

I have 2 questions:
Is this correct setup for this scenario? ( ie., appliance running B&R to backup physical server )

How do I add a physical server to B&R?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: B&R 11 and Physical Server

Post by Mildur »

Hi NorthGuard

For doing backups for physical machines, you can create protection groups on the vbr server and add them to a veeam agent backup job.

The protection group will install the veeam Agent on the physical server. The veeam backup job will backup the physical server.

Let me know if you need further information :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

Oddly, I don't have a "Physical Infrastructure" option under Inventory- only Virtual and File Shares?

I am running B&R v11, Enterprise Plus
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

There is one scenario I know when it is not there.
You have installed a „cloud connect enabled license“.

Cloud Connect enabled licenses on a VBR server are not used todo backups. Backup tasks are completely disabled.

I think your question is about the other topic, where I have explained to you, that you need to deploy veeam Cloud Connect and the Veeam Service Provider Console to create and managed the veeam agents and the backup jobs :)

Veeam Cloud Connect is the backup storage and is used to store the username and password for your tenants for accessing the cloud connect infrastructure.

Veeam Service Provider Console will be used for agent and backup job management of your customers physical machines. New customers can also be configured here. It‘s like a frontend webpage for the cloud connect service.
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

I think you are exactly correct - I used the same license to test this setup. I will pull that license and get a new one from my VCSP and see if that fixes it.

So given that it is likely a licensing question:
For this client, would I need a B&R license + an Agent license to backup the one physical server?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If you have a client with a own VBR Server, and that server must backup workloads for your client, then you have two options:

- Client buys a customer license. Must be a VUL, if you want to protect physical machines. Your client is allowed to manage his own backup server with this license. If you backup (or backup copy) this clients machine to a cloud connect backup repository, additional fee must be paid by you.

- You must create a rental license for your client in your VCSP Pulse Portal. Never hand out this license to the client. If you use rental licensing, your client is not allowed to manage the backup server by himself. Only restore role would be allowed. Backup onsite and cloud connect is included in this license.

You must install the veeam service provider console if you use VCSP Rental Licensing or you don‘t have a tool to do the monthly license reporting.

I think, it would be best that you call your veeam sales representative. I‘m only speaking about my own experience and knowledge. It seems to me, that you are new to veeam service provider licensing. It‘s best that an official veeam sales person explains everything to you and what your duties are, when you use rental licensing. There are some policies to follow. Some Do and Don‘ts :)

And please register yourself for the service provider user group here in the forums. It‘s a privat group for all Service provider products. You can join the group if you have used a mail address with your companies mail domain.
This post will be eventually be moved to the correct forums by an moderator :)
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

I am planning on option 2 - rental license model. I already have a service provider console setup, the actual onsite stuff is what I am fuzzy about: ie., which licensing I need to actually have the B&R appliance onsite + the agent license for the physical server.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Then you can create a rental license for your client in pulse.
Choose Veeam Backup & Replication and put in the count of Server Agents you want to deploy.
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

Actually, ignore that. Because it is based on points and servers are the same points regardless of agent or not, my question isn't valid. I am all set - thanks for the help!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome 👍