Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cbeugene
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Evgenii Daniliuk

VAW 5.0.1.4584 Free strange backup scheduler issue

Post by cbeugene »

Hello!

I use Veeam Agent for Windows Free at home and I noticed strange VAW behavior with the following schedule:

I scheduled a backup "Daily", "at 18:00", "On these days" -> "Tuesday"; "If computer is powered off at this time" -> "Backup once powered on"; "Once backup is taken" -> "Keep running".
And because I want active full backups every time, I've enabled "Create active full backups periodically", and set "Weekly on selected days:" -> "Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun"
Backup target is SMB share, "Keep backups for" -> "2" (two) "days excluding days with no backups"

Other options is by default.

And so, what do I have now: with above mentioned settings VAW is performing Active Full backup _every_ day at 18:00 and keeps 3 (three) full backups.

What am I doing wrong if I wanted to create the following logic:
1. Normally, if PC is turned on on Tuesday at 18:00 an Active Full backup is performed;
2. If PC is turned off on Tuesday at 18:00, Active full is performed as soon as PC is turned on;
3. Two latest backups are stored on target SMB share.

Is it a bug, or I should read the manual again and more careful?

Best regards,
Evgenii.
Nils
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nils Petersen

Re: VAW 5.0.1.4584 Free strange backup scheduler issue

Post by Nils »

You'll need to turn off active full on all days but Tuesday. As it seems, VAW generally does not run a missed backup when the machine is turned back on.
cbeugene
Novice

Post by cbeugene »

Honestly I thought that "Create full backups periodically" and a schedule is acting as follows:
1. Jobs are run at a scheduled date and time (Days of week or day of month or another date selecting mechanism is just a convenient way to set up scheduler)
2. Type of backup (which type of backup to perform at exact job run) is selected according to "Create active full backups" and other advanced job settings.

So it is strange fact to me that backup job is started every day. It is not scheduled to do so. It is no difference if PC was turned off in the evening and turned on in the morning, or it is running 24x7, I have two laptops - one is getting turned off for night and other not turned off. No difference, both are starting backup jobs.
And another strange fact that three latest backups are kept instead of two. Every backup is Active full so there is no dependent backups.
Nils
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nils Petersen

Post by Nils »

The Active Full setting is additive to the normal schedule (no, that is not intuitive), it replaces the normal run when it's on the same day.
cbeugene
Novice

Post by cbeugene »

Documentation says the following: "Keep in mind that to create active and synthetic full backups on selected days, Veeam Agent must run the backup job on these days. For details about backup job schedule, see Scheduling Settings.", "Before scheduling periodic full backups, you must make sure that you have scheduled the backup job to run".
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
cbeugene
Novice

Post by cbeugene »

Filed support case #05259079