Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rob7676
Influencer
Liked: never

Sync changes made to an Instant Recovery back to original

Post by rob7676 »

I recently notice that during the P2V conversion of our server, two of them retained the full provisioned size and isn't needed. I decided to temporarily run the VM from an Instant Recovery until I was about to resolve the datastore size. After the successfully converting it to the desired size, I now need to sync the changes that were made to the Instant Recovery back to the original VM. Is this possible? If so, can someone help guide me through this?

Thanks
Rob
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Sync changes made to an Instant Recovery back to origina

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rob, sync into the existing VM is not possible, you should simply delete it and use Migration job to migrate the instantly recovered VM to the required datastore. Thanks!
rob7676
Influencer

Post by rob7676 »

Gostev wrote:Hi Rob, sync into the existing VM is not possible, you should simply delete it and use Migration job to migrate the instantly recovered VM to the required datastore. Thanks!
Thanks
for your response, I will give it a go
rob7676
Influencer

Post by rob7676 »

Gostev wrote:Hi Rob, sync into the existing VM is not possible, you should simply delete it and use Migration job to migrate the instantly recovered VM to the required datastore. Thanks!
Will it just migrate the only the changes of the recovery? Unfortunately there have been some changes to the production VM as-well sense it has been back online.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

It will migrated the instantly recovered VM in its entirety from vPower NFS datastore to your production datastore. Again, there is absolutely no way to merge 2 VMs into one. Hopefully, you can preserve all required changes from the "production" VM and just copy them to your "new" production VM. Thanks!