Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Converting to file level on backup copy job

Post by unsichtbarre »

Howdy everybody! I'm looking at a scenario where the incremental backup job is targeting A SOBR with file level backups configured and running successfully for some years now.

There is a backup copy job configured targeting a repository at a remote location with 30 incrimental point and 12 months GFS. Unfortunately file level was not specified when this repository was configured.

We would now like to add an additional extent to the repository at the remote location and make it a SOBR.

I'm aware that SOBR requires file level, and to convert to file level you need to run an active full backup.

Given that the remote repository is only targeted by a backup copy job, where the source job/repository is already file level, what will the implications be of converting it to file level, so we can add an extent and create SOBR?

In the backup copy job options, it is not possible to schedule an active full backup, although it is possible to run active full manually.

Any advice much appreciated.

THX,
JB
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Converting to file level on backup copy job

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I assume it's about the "use per-machine backup files" setting, right?
I'm aware that SOBR requires file level
it's recommended, but not required. you can uncheck the box.

I would probably really stay with per-job backup chains for now and only convert to per-machines chains with V12. In V12, per-machine chains will be required for backup copy jobs. We improved per-machines chains in V12. The upgrade process is not 100% defined yet, but can involve active-full backup copy jobs. So you would save one active-full by deferring the change to per-machine chains.

The source repository settings are irrelevant for the backup copy target. The backup copy job is processing the files. It's not a "stupid copy".

Best regards,
Hannes
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

OK, Thanks!
So to be clear "use per-machine backup files" is not required on SOBR? I can create a SOBR with S3 Capacity extent and continue to use per-job?

THX,
-JB
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I can create a SOBR with S3 Capacity extent and continue to use per-job?
Yes, you can. :)
Create a sobr with your existing backup copy repository and the new s3 object storage. The Copy Jobs will be automatically updated to send their backup copies to the new SOBR. It will work. No active full needed.

If you have targeted the configuration backup to this backup repo, you must first change the location for the configuration backup file. A SOBR is not supported for it. Creating a SOBR will fail if you use the existing backup repo with a conf backup for the performance tier.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
unsichtbarre
Service Provider

Post by unsichtbarre »

Thanks Hannes and Mildur!