Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Does Veeam B&R have official Oracle "certification" ?

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Community,

this is sort of a follow-up to a thread I posted here a few days ago.

We are working with an existing customer in order to achieve image-level application-consistent backups and replicas of all Oracle server machines. All Oracle databases are currently being backed up independently by the vendors of the various applications inside each Guest OS.

The IT team is considering the possibility of leveraging Veeam for all Oracle backup and restore operations and to cease using independently managed backup tasks inside each Guest OS, however they pointed out that the backups performed by Veeam B&R might not have official Oracle "certification".

I am seeking your advice as I'm not sure what is the most appropriate answer here, even though the information available at https://www.oracle.com/database/technol ... ogram.html sounds pretty reassuring to me :) .

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Does Veeam B&R have official Oracle "certification" ?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Massimiliano,

There is no certification program for 3rd party vendors from Oracle but you've already found the answer, we are part of the Oracle Backup Solutions program, the link you were referring to is still actual.

Thanks!
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Post by massimiliano.rizzi » 1 person likes this post

Hi there Petr,

I hope your week is off to a good start!

Is this link specifically related to the Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN, or does it apply to image-level backups of Oracle servers handled by Veeam B&R as well ?

Thank you for your time!

Massimiliano
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Technically, it is applicable to RMAN, here is a quote from the BSP description :
vendors are committed to integrating Recovery Manager (RMAN) with their media management software packages and provide first line technical support for the integrated backup and recovery solutions for Oracle RDBMS.
However, image-level backups rely on user-managed backup strategy that is fully supported by Oracle and databases are altered to backup mode to avoid the issue related to fractured block according to official recommendations from Oracle itself.

Thanks!
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Post by massimiliano.rizzi » 1 person likes this post

Thank you very much for all the information.

Have a nice day!