Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Proper CPU for all-in-one box

Post by NorthGuard »

I want to run an all-in-box - backup & replication with local repository setup as SOBR to Wasabi. Documentation seems to indicate I would need at least 6 CPU cores for this, but that seems like a bit much.

I was going to go with something like an i5-6500 or the i7-6700, but both are only 4 cores?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Proper CPU for all-in-one box

Post by Gostev »

"A bit much" for what exactly? First, processing 1TB and 100TB of production data within the same time frame requires vastly different number of CPU resources (100x to be precise). And then there's backup window consideration: some customers want their backups to finish in 1 hour, and other are fine with 10 hours. At which point we're already looking at 1000 times difference in CPU requirements across these two data points alone :) while you're worrying about 1.5 times difference right now.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by NorthGuard »

Good point - I wasn't really descriptive enough. Essentially, most implementations will be for single, physical servers with less than 1TB data... stored locally and then shipped offsite to Wasabi. Backup windows can take 10 hours without impacting business.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Then I would not worry about this. Its hard to find a modern CPUs that would not be able to handle a few TB of data on such a large backup window.