Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kanand72
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: K Anand

Copy Backup

Post by kanand72 »

This is my first post here.
We have been using VBR V11 with HP Storeonce Appliance for the past 6 months. So far, have been very satisfied with the product. We were earlier using Microfocus Data Protector V7 with a tape library. So a huge change from there.
I was actually looking for a way to copy a backup or mark a particular backup as non deletable.
the use case is as follows: I have a server on which I am doing some changes....So during the changes , the server breaks down. Now I can restore the previous backup immediately or try to see if I can make changes on the server so that it is up. Lets say the backup is a daily backup with a retention period of 3 days. Now, I would like to keep a copy of the latest backup in case I am not able to repair the server within the 3 days ....Or make the latest backup as non deletable.
In the earlier scenario with tape library, it was very simple ---simply take the tape out of the library....
Whats the equivalent here.

TIA
Anand
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I think "export backup" is the easiest way to keep backups longer than planned. Sure, you could also use backup copy jobs, but that's more to configure.

Best regards,
Hannes
kanand72
Enthusiast

Post by kanand72 »

Thanx for the reply...
Let me try it and get back.
BTW, can we do export backup to another backup repository or to local disk only ??
kanand72
Enthusiast

Post by kanand72 » 1 person likes this post

Never mind...I tried it and it goes into the original repository....
My purpose is solved.
Thanx.