Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

traffic flow during extent evacuation

Post by frankive »

At a remote site we have 2 NAS (2 extent) on a SOBR. Veeam server running from HQ with site-2-site VPN.
During evacuating of backups from nas1 to nas2 we see that all the traffic goes in and out to the veeam server over the vpn, which of course make this process very slow, since we are talking 10 TB data.....
Is there something I can do to make the traffic flow directly between the repositories in this case?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: traffic flow during extent evacuation

Post by Mildur »

Hi Frank

Do you leverage dedicated Gateway Server Gateway Server for the NAS Devices on the remote sites?
Or is the configured Gateway Server for NAS Devices in the remote sites your Veeam Backup Server?
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

no, i have not configured any gateway server in this environment.
Where do we see the configured gateway server setting for the nas? i can only choose which mountserver we can use for the nas.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you use the NAS as a CIFS Repo, you can configure the Gateway on this page:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... #smb-share
Best practice is to deploy a gateway Server on the location where the NAS is. If you don't do that, veeam uses the Backup Server to read the files from the NAS Device. When you evacuate the data from one NAS extend, veeam backup server will read every backup files over the vpn from the NAS, and then trasnfer it to the new NAS.

You can use any managed windows server as a CIFS Gateway Server. Deploy a VM or physical server (or use an existing one) at the remote site and configure your CIFS Repos to use it the gateway server.

Same goes for using the NAS as an iscsi backup repo. Make sure, that you have deployed a windows or linux backup repo server at the remote site to leverage iscsi on the NAS.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive » 1 person likes this post

You were absolutely right. Somehow the temporary extend i added to be able to run an active full did NOT have the veeam gateway specified unlike the other repositories. Edited the repository and all good. Thanks!