Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adrenaline_x
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Fuller

Veeam Encryption On landing respository - Disable for backup copies on Datadomain

Post by adrenaline_x »

We are running the latest versions of Veeam v11.

We have windows shares that hold 14 days of storage that is for quick restores of files/servers (some ranging beyond 25TBs). We are now required to encrypt these backups on these landing repositories which in of itself is fine.

The issue now is that backup copies transfer the backups to a datadomain. The Datadomains have about 150Tbs of raw space shared between Veeam and rman backups. Veeam is storing ~700TBs of data on them for 30 days. My understanding has always been that if we encrypt the initial backups we will significantly or completely reduce the Dedupe abilities of the Datadomain.

Reading https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 It appears that both backup jobs and backup copy jobs have separate encryption options. I know that the Backup job and Backup copy jobs have different backup chains but does this also mean that if the backup job is encrypted, and the backup copy is not, that veeam with decrypt the backups while copying them?

Reading the documents the backup jobs flow through the proxies and that is where encryption happens.. When running backup copy jobs, those jobs never touch the proxies and the data is transferred directly from the windows backup repositories and to the Datadomain through the Gateway server configured specifically for it.

If there is no ability to decrypt the files before storing them on a dedupe appliance, why hasnt this option been made available? Its seem like something that should be available if you accept the additional resource requirements for decrypting it on the fly.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Veeam Encryption On landing respository - Disable for backup copies on Datadomain

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Correct the way I read the helpcenter document you reference is that we will decrypt the source backup during the backup copy process so if the copy job doesn't have encryption set the datadomain should continue to received un-encrypted backup data...
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Veeam Encryption On landing respository - Disable for backup copies on Datadomain

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

I've set this up before for client, and it works exactly as you hope it does; the link even has a note:

> NOTE
Even if encryption is disabled in the backup copy job, Veeam Backup & Replication will decrypt data blocks of the encrypted source backup files.

So the data leaves the source decrypted; fi you enable encryption for the Backup Copy Job, then it gets encrypted anew with the Backup Copy Job key(s).

So if you want to benefit from a deduplication appliance and rely on the appliance encryption, it's fine to just make a Backup Copy job without encryption enabled and you're golden.
adrenaline_x
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Fuller

Post by adrenaline_x »

Perfect.

This is also what Support has replied as well.. Looking through the forums, this was not the case before and i wanted to be sure before implementation.