Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cshakeer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Shakkeer Chalakkandi

Catalog Backup

Post by cshakeer »

Catalog backup: If in case of Veeam Application crash or server fail we would need the latest catalog to rebuild the Veeam server, but I don't see an option to initiate multiple catalogs, if I am not wrong other products have an option to start catalog backup after each scheduled backups finishes. Let's assume my catalog backup is scheduled every day at 6 am, and I have scheduled backup jobs at 9 and 10 AM ... let's assume my server crashed at 11:30 am. In this scenario, I will follow the below-mentioned procedures

- Reinstall Veeam and restore from the latest available catalog is 6 am, so what would happen for those 9 and 10 am jobs?
- Do I need to have backup drives/repositories with the same name and letters ?

Is there any option to have two management servers and do real-time replication or sync of configuration and catalog?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Catalog Backup

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

This is not needed in Veeam as we have self describing backups that include all metadata. Basically we do NOT have a CATALOG like others on the Veeam Server. The Catalog is directly in the backup files.
That way you could even install a new Veeam server and just point it to any backup file area and start restores without our Configuration Backup.

Configuration backup includes only the Job configurations and the Statistic History. So if you create a new job after last Configuration backup and run it. Loose the Veeam Server and freshly install it with configuration restore, then you would have lost the Job itself but you can restore from backup (they would show up at Home-Backup-Disk(imported) when Veeam starts and rescan the Repositories with the other job there. As Job changes are not that frequent you can just start a manual Configuration Backup if you really want to make sure that the Job definition is as well convered.

I suggest to encrypt the configuration backup as only then Veeam would store as well all infrasturcture passwords in the confguration backup (such as the vCenter credentials for example).

More information:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Catalog Backup

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

You can even extract the content of the backup with a small Veeam Extract tool. So even the Backup & Replication server is not needed to get access to the data out of the backup files.