Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Marcel Kacmar

Shared repositories across multiple VBRs by upgrade - case 05261532

Post by makacmar »

Hello,
multiple VBRs are using same repositories
as there is not support how to have dedicated transport service per VBR
due upgrade of VBR is upgraded transport service, which will cause on another VBRs disconnection of repositories - then we have re-register them
options:
1) dedicated service per VBR on repository
2) detection of service with same version to not upgrade it
3) selectable remote components during upgrade (list of components, not all or nothing option as currently is)
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Shared repositories across multiple VBRs by upgrade - case 05261532

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marcel,

Would you be so kind to explain what is the purpose to use several different Veeam B&R servers? Why don't use a single backup server to orchestrate everything? Or if there is a business need to have different backup servers, what is the reason to share repositories?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
multiple VBRs are using same repositories
That's unsupported and much manual work for upgrades. It works as long as you keep everything in the same version and no "overload" situation occurs. As I remember that you have many repos / VBR servers, I strongly recommend to go with option 1 for now.

For the future (V12), maybe re-designing the solution makes sense (I remember we talked about that in other threads before)

Best regards,
Hannes
makacmar
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Marcel Kacmar

Post by makacmar »

We have dedicated VBR per customer with shared repositories due design. (unallocated space is expensive :) )
Option 1 would be fine, but now i dont see option how to rename service or use different path for each VBR on repository for transport service.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

ah sorry, I misread option 1... my recommendation is to have one repository per VBR server. that's the opposite of what you want. shared repositories are unsupported because the backup servers don't know from each other and can overload the repository server. also it's painful to upgrade shared repositories (the situation you ran into)

with Linux, there is the option to run the repository in containers. then multiple containers could host multiple customer repositories.

the other alternative of sharing a repository is using Veeam cloud connect (VCC). but VCC has limitations... I remember you need log backups...

All that brings me backup to the point to think about object storage as repository with V12. Markus can can give you an introduction and beta if needed.