Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
renatormenta
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Renato Zurita

[Feature request] Warning when modified Jobs that are chained

Post by renatormenta » 1 person likes this post

Hey there! First post here, let me know if this feature request should be done elsewhere, and I will correct it. Thanks!

Lets suppose I have 5 Jobs, which are chained together. (When Job #1 ends, Job #2 starts, etc).
If Job #1 has to be modified, or worse, disabled, then Jobs #2-#5 will either run at different times, or worse, not run again. By the time you get a RPO warning, it may be too late.

To mitigate this, I think a warning should be displayed when modifying/disabling Jobs which have others that depend on them.
"This modification will impact Job #2's Schedule, since it is chained to Job #1. Apply Changes?". Or something of the sort.

Let me know what you think. I know it would have helped me a couple of times :roll:

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [Feature request] Warning when modified Jobs that are chained

Post by foggy »

Hi Renato, thanks for the request. Though I'd recommend reviewing this thread to make sure you fully understand all the consequences of job chaining and why this strategy is not considered as best practice. Thanks!
renatormenta
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Renato Zurita

Post by renatormenta »

I totally understand, we try not to use it, however because of certain client's storage conditions sometimes we have to make sure it goes one at a time.
I still believe if the feature is going to be there some warnings would be welcome :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can reach the same goal by limiting the max amount of proxy/repository concurrent tasks.