Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nparikh3
Lurker
Liked: never

GFS, SOBR, & Immutability

Post by nparikh3 »

Hi All,

We're currently using tape backup (I know), with WORM tapes for immutable backups, and we are looking to migrate backups to the cloud. We're primarily in Azure, so that was my first preference for backups, but looks like immutable backups are not supported on Azure blob storage yet.

I had a few questions I was hoping someone would be able to provide clarity on.

1. The SOBR S3 Bucket has a limit of 90 days for object immutability. Does this stay at 90 days when applying GFS policies to backup jobs, or will the immutability match the GFS policy?

2. What is the recommended way to backup data to long term immutable storage (10+ years)? I was thinking something along the lines of Amazon Glacier using GFS policies to make the backups immutable. Is this supported?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: GFS, SOBR, & Immutability

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. This depends on whether you're asking about Capacity Tier or Archive Tier. Assuming the former, all backups will be immutable for 90 days only.

2. Yes, just add Archive Tier to your existing SOBR and archived GFS backups will be made immutable for their entire retention period.

Thanks!
imtetwa01
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ishmael Mtetwa

Re: GFS, SOBR, & Immutability

Post by imtetwa01 »

For capacity tier with disabled move policy - Veeam Backup & Replication compares the immutability period of the backup repository and the GFS backup file lifetime, and sets an immutability period for full backup files with GFS retention policy as equal to the longest of these periods.
For example: the backup repository immutability period is 90 days; the GFS backup file lifetime is 5 years; the backup file will be immutable for 5 years; the increments from this full backup file will be immutable for 90 days from the moment of the last increment creation.

For capacity tier with enabled move policy - Veeam Backup & Replication ignores the GFS retention policy. The immutability time period for full backup files equals the period specified in the setting of a hardened repository.