hoabd
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: bui dinh hoa

Copy job doesn't see mapped drives

Post by hoabd »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to VBR here.
Is it possible for VBR to see mapped drives in general?
My scenario is that, since VBR doesn't support to backup files from mapped drives directly to Cloud repository. So I was creating a copy job to copy files from mapped drive to local, then push it to cloud repository. It was working at first tho.
Then after couple of months, we encountered this error:

So, my question is, is that possible for a copy job on VBR to see mapped drives? If yes, please show me how.
FYI, in my VBR server.

Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy job doesn't see mapped drives

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If you are new, I recommend to start with the quick start guide.

Mapped drives are not needed normally, but let's figure out what is really needed :-)
since VBR doesn't support to backup files from mapped drives directly to Cloud repository.
What kind of backups is it about? VMware, Hyper-V, physical agents, NAS shares or something else (Oracle RMAN etc.)? What kind of "cloud repository" is it about? Veeam cloud connect backup or (Amazon) S3 / Azure / Google object storage?

What kind of storage do you have to store your backup job data? A Windows standalone server with local disks (best case)? Anything else?

What is the goal? Keeping backups locally for fast backup / restore and copy and / or move old backup to the cloud?

Best regards,
Hannes
hoabd
Novice

Post by hoabd »

Hi HannesK,

Thanks for replying quickly.
My goal is to backup "folders and files" to store it on Veeam cloud connect backup from a SMB network shared folder (mapped drive), as shown in the picture above.
What I'm trying to do is:
- Create a copy job to copy files from mapped drive to local drive
- Then chain it to a backup job from local drive to Veeam cloud connect backup

At the moment, I'm wondering that does VBR support copy file from network shared folder(mapped drive) to local drives?
From what is shown in the picture above, copy job doesn't see the network shared folder(mapped drive).

I really appreciate your inputs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think we might have a solution for it, but let me clarify the second portion first - how were you planning to achieve this?
- Then chain it to a backup job from local drive to Veeam cloud connect backup
Agent policy that has file copy backup as source and cloud repository as target?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
ok, when talking about NAS backup, then there is no support for Veeam Cloud Connect (also not in V12). With V12, the NAS backup job can send data directly to object storage (S3 compatible, Amazon, Azure, Google), so that might be an alternative later this year.

To local drives is possible. Just add the original file share directly to Veeam instead of "proxying" it though another Windows machine.

The file copy job that you are currently using is just for dumb copy. Not for backup. And you are correct, that file copy job does not support mapped shared folders. Also the file copy job cannot copy to Cloud Connect.

Best regards,
Hannes
hoabd
Novice

Post by hoabd »

Thank Veremin for replying,
Agent policy that has file copy backup as source and cloud repository as target?
My intention is just simply chain 2 jobs altogether, nothing special. When the copy job is finished it will trigger backup job to run.

Hi HannesK,

Thanks for your clear explanation, I get it now. I think I'll set up a batch script for copy files from network mapped drives to local drive while waiting for approval for veeam backup agent installation on these file servers.

Once again, thank you for your time supporting me. I've heard nice things about Veeam community on Reddit, but you guys still amazed me.
Cheers,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My intention is just simply chain 2 jobs altogether, nothing special. When the copy job is finished it will trigger backup job to run.
I understood this, just want to check what type of job you are using to transfer the data to cloud repository? Is my assumption correct and it's something like agent or VM job that backs up a machine that hosts mapped drive original backup (created via file copy or something)?

If so, you can

- create a NAS policy that backs up this SMB share to some machine
- create an agent or VM job that backs up the machine (with NAS backups) to cloud repository

Thanks!
hoabd
Novice

Post by hoabd »

Hi veremin,

I just want to backup just plain files & folders from that mapped drives directly to the cloud.
All I was thinking was a copy job but NAS policy to a agent installed machine.

Since you suggested it, I'm looking to your suggestions now, I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello,
I just want to backup just plain files & folders from that mapped drives directly to the cloud.
as said above, that's impossible today with Veeam Cloud Connect.

The mapped drive can be backed up directly with the NAS backup job (not through the Windows machine). Then the idea is to use the Veeam Agent for Windows to do a backup of the NAS backup folder to cloud connect. Yes, that's a bit ugly. :-) The alternative is waiting for V12 and use object storage. Any kind of NAS / file copy to Veeam Cloud connect is not planned for foreseeable future.

Best regards,
Hannes